Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

are these coins fake?

Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2010  10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for $15 bucks he got 3 1906 walkers and more to boot!! I think he looted this guy!!
Learn More...
United States
14274 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2010  10:36 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The sellers were Chinese

Avoid buying any supposed U.S. coins from China. MANY fakes are coming out of there and these sellers are getting wealthy through unethical,shady practices.

johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
Dave - ANA LM1214396, C4, EAC
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2010  11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrh757 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those that have not seen the Chinese mints here is some pics!

http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoins/ig/Chinese-Counterfeiting-Ring/Chinese-Fake-Coin-Minting.htm
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2010  7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dcreek1968 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an interesting waste of $15 unless you are into collecting fake chinese coins. Then this might be a gold mine. I like the comment, "not only are they fakes, but they are bad fakes". Now that says it all.
Learn More...
Australia
11230 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2010  12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
fcrazo said:
Though I have not sent them to a lab, I would not handle them. Pay attention to the news and you hear about the toxic Chinese jewelry. Enough said.

Agree there. Whatever they're made of, they're not made of silver. If the coin sounds the same as a silver coin when dropped (and especially if the weights are near-correct) then it's an alloy that's similar in density to silver; the easiest way to get the density up that high is to add lots of lead to the mix. I wouldn't let the littlies play with them.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2010  10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add splatto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like an interesting waste of $15

It's funny this is still being said, even after I said he bought them knowing they were fake.

Quote:
If the coin sounds the same as a silver coin when dropped (and especially if the weights are near-correct) then it's an alloy that's similar in density to silver; the easiest way to get the density up that high is to add lots of lead to the mix

That's good information, thanks, I'll be sure to pass it on
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2010  11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hc8604 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyway, I believe they were fake because

- The sellers were Chinese

I am of Chinese decent... so the coins I own are automatically fake? lol No wonder the dealer didn't want to buy my coins j/k

Just do the research and don't let people buy coins for you.

Quote:
Avoid buying any supposed U.S. coins from China. MANY fakes are coming out of there and these sellers are getting wealthy through unethical,shady practices.
...and the cheap labor too. Bribing officials isn't cheap though.
Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2010  1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add splatto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just do the research and don't let people buy coins for you.

he bought them for himself.

Quote:
I am of Chinese decent... so the coins I own are automatically fake?

Just do research and don't let people make coins for you :)
Valued Member
United States
296 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2010  9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hc8604 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just do research and don't let people make coins for you :)

Dude,
Stop it. It is not funny the second time.
Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2010  1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add splatto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kowabunga, Dude! It wasn't funny the first time.
Sorry to distract you from your Ninja Turtles reruns but I appreciate your input in the thread.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05