Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mexico 8 reals Mo 1898

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Greece
424 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2010  11:05 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add epop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I read carefully all the postings for the 8 real coins so I decided to post mine.Now after the reading,I have many doubts if my coin is original.My knowledge on this area of numismatics is low so any help will be much appreciated.
Anargiros

Valued Member
Greece
424 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2010  11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add epop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wheight of the coin is 27.08 gramms and the edge is reeded.Hope this helps

Pillar of the Community
United States
3189 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2010  12:00 pm  Show Profile Check swamperbob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Strong Peso is the last in the series of "Standard" dollar coins produced in Mexico. It is technically not an 8 Reale - it is a Peso - similar to the Balance Scale decimal issues of the 1870s. It was produced for use domestically as well as for the overseas market.

These coins were produced on a modern coining press equipped with a reeded collar. They were produced in a single coining strike not in two steps like the 8R coins made in an open sided screw press. The dies were all produced from master hubs so variation was eliminated on the various working dies. The dies were subjected to higher stresses so there are often numerous die cracks on these coins. This happens even on fairly new dies with insignificant wear. A circular die crack running along the letters is fairly typical and was the result of the high pressure near the collar. Your coin has such a crack joining the tops of the letters UN PESO.

The 1898 Mo was also restruck in 1949 with an added production of 10,250,000 coins - the originals have 139 beads on the reverse and the restrike has 134 beads on the border. They are otherwise identical in design. Your coin is a restrike made in 1949.

Valued Member
Greece
424 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2010  12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add epop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you very much for you reply.then is not a copy as I thought it's a restrike.you help is highly apreciated
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2010  3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 8 R€­ÅL€Š™ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Epop,

I also have a 1898 Mo Restrike and I actually heard or read somewhere that a portion of these were minted in San Francisco.

Also I believe the o in Mo on the restrike is raised higher than on the original which is another way to tell if your looking at a restrike.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3189 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2010  6:06 pm  Show Profile Check swamperbob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A restrike is NOT a counterfeit. It is an authroized issue, and they were made at San Francisco.

There was an article about this coin recently in the Numismatist or Coin World (can't recall which though).
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2010  1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wrote an article on the 1949 Mexico Restrikes in 2006 and put it on my website (below).

Some were made in Mexico City and 2,000,000 were made in San Francisco.

I found the above referenced The Numismatist article.
It is in the July 2010 issue and is entitled
"Striking Pieces Of Eight At The San Francisco Mint" by Gerard Muhl.

It can be found at:
http://digital.ipcprintservices.com...hp?id=424354

The article is mostly a history of Mexican coins used in America and
the attempt to set up a Mexican mint in San Francisco.

Check out my website at:
http://www.brianrxm.com
Roman Coins, Mexican Coins, Favorite Coins, Movie Coins
The 1949 Mexico 1898 Peso Restrike for China

Check out my website at:
http://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and Television
Mexico 1949 Restrike of 1898 Peso for China
Edited by willieboyd2
07/30/2010 1:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2293 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2010  9:33 pm  Show Profile Check carmykle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! Facinating Willyboyd2. I had no idea how complex FOREX was in the 40s and 50s. Stands to reason though. In those days silver was still king!
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05