Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2004 5 cent - dent on cheek

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
974 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2011  04:27 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I found this coin recently.
It does not look like PMD to me (but I could be wrong).
It seems quite similar to a 50 cent in this thread
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=98647

I am interested what forum members think of this one?

What should I look for to tell the difference between PMD and an error on a coin like this?

Pillar of the Community
Australia
518 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2011  09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AaronG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There seem to be a few "unidentified dents" on the obverse of the 2004 coins.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3690 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2011  6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely a strike through grease.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Australia
974 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought that grease would spread if squashed, but the dent is relatively deep, so I suspect it was some other material.
I have been trying to work out why these 2 coins have a dent in a similar place, and I have worked out a theory.
Does anyone know how the dies are arranged during production?
If the obverse die faces up, anything falling into the production area would fall into the obverse die, and since the queen's cheek is deepest, it would tend to fall there.
That might explain why these 2 coins have a dent in a similar place.
How does that explanation sound?
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3690 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still think it's a strike through grease, as the area is noticeably 'rough' and uneven.

I think if it was struck through a piece of a more solid material, the indentation would be smoother and shinier with more defined edges going by strike through coins I've got plus others I've seen images of.

Just my humble opinion.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Australia
974 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then "strike through grease" it is - and my first one!.
Thanks for responding again taking the time to explain.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05