Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Peace and Morgan Dollar VAM

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1892-CC VAM?

Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2999 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2011  11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last photo spot on....your just begining to know the areas of interest by your photo's..
the last photo above the second star, your last photo, shows the clashing of the T which many times includes the S or say ST as the S is found higher in the hair of your LAST posted photo..
As for a G clash possibility the rotation is not far enough up along the chin line..However the Neck clashing is in prime position and looks strong enough for a "possible N or IN clash"
A scnn can not capture this many times as its laying so flat...and with die varieties such as this, the light must be at an angled to the coin for the impression to be seen,,

Find some one with a decent camera to take some close ups of these two area's
Vary the light on the coin , lighting from directly above not down or too the side..
Simply view the coin from the camera and turn the coin so you get the best contrast over the area of interest. you will then see these details we are speaking about and you are learning of...snap the shot and let us see what you find....
Honestly this is a big dollar coin to begin with despite if it is or is not a new VAM...
I would recommend spending around $40-$50 bucks on eBay and buy a cheap DINO LITE Micro scope.....rather than a camera...it will let you hand hold this micro scope camera focus and see the details your trying to capture....
YET one other option I have never tried as your using a scanner and getting pretty good results....place something under the coin to raise it so possibly it will reveal a better photo/scan of the area of interest..not other area's may be out of focus but we really don't care about any thing but detailed samples of the area of interest...In a common photo one would not wish only one spot on the photo to be in focus...you have only 2 areas of interest to play with...the Hair Vee and the Neck...so give it a go, I will do some quick research of what your looking for, so when you play with your coin you will know what you are supposed to be looking for,,,Gene Back in a bit...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2999 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here are some examples of what your looking for...the 2 are STRONGLY CLASHED and very cleanly seen, but if you have these impressions even if they are weak..its still good to go...I have borrowed them from VamWorld so I hope I am not stepping on any ones toes,to share this knowledge.. These photo's are merely here to represent what type of clash you may or not have....These are not of your coins year...They only represent
the "IN" or "ST " clashing that can be found on some coins..These photo's are of strongly imprinted or "clashed coins" of "LETTER TRANSFERS" used to confirm or establish a new die variety.....
If you find you do have some of these features even if they are weak. I strongly urge you post them on VamWorld for there viewing and comments...here are the Photo examples
of the areas and features of what you should be looking for.

let us know what you find...Gene
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add remmy1100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep... there is for sure letter transfer in the Vee. Possibly in front of the neck, but the pics just dont show it well enough... the first full obv. shot makes me think there is, but cant tell for sure. This coin probably needs to go to Leroy. Cool clash!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1323 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gene: Thanks so much for the time you're spending with a VAM newbie. I feel I'm working you like a rented mule.
The problem I have is the coin is in a Capital Plastic #466 holder along with her sisters for the last 40 yrs or so. I don't plan on breaking them out until I'm ready to send the 79-CC capped die in to TPG. Haven't figured out yet when that will be. I did try raising the holder from all 4 sides to get the angle shot & raised scanner to 4800dpi. 4 shots of each location follow but I still don't see the clashing that is on the last 2 pics you posted. Thanks again.

OPEN 24 HRS (but not in a row)
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add remmy1100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep... clashed in front of the neck too! VERY COOL!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2999 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photo number 2 BAMMM the ol' N tick,,,I agree with
Remmy...you should send this one to Leroy, as at this point it would be the only one known to date..
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1323 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who is Leroy? Do you mean send the coin or just the pics? In a prior post I explained I wont be breaking it out of the folder soon. Will probably attend one of the major conventions in Phila or Baltimore next year & do it then.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
541 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  12:46 pm  Show Profile Check Lobby's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lobby to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only one known? Wow.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2955 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another great coin! Thank you for sharing and good luck with the attribution.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add remmy1100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Leroy VanAllen is the person who confirms and lists, new discoveries... you send the coin to him, with $5 plus return postage and he sends it back with a letter and the new VAM listing information. Then you have yourself a discovery coin. A cool clash like this would be a cool discovery to have your name tied to. IMO.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2999 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2011  11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeffrose PM me..
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1323 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2011  7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PM sent
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05