Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay and Indian coins- Mughal Rupees

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3057 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2011  7:27 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

For ages I have wanted a nice Mughal Rupee. But never do I see them in local shops or at coin shows in my neck of the woods. I have been very suspicious of most eBay sellers (a symptom of being an 8 Reales enthusiast, I suppose), but don't know where else to turn.

So do any of you India coin enthusiasts know of reliable sellers? Are there many fakes on there these days? And, also, what might you make of this particular auction?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mughal-Empi...em3a6b978bb8

(P. S. I hope that I am not breaking any rules by posting a link to this auction.)

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2011  9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grancap74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a really interesting looking coin. Sorry I don't know anything about these, but thanks for sharing it. For what it's worth from me, it sure has a shiny appearance that I would not expect from something of that age. I have some Chinese coins that are from the early 1800's that do not have environmental damage and the wear is far greater on mine that what this coin shows. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1984 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  05:26 am  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks perfectly fine to me. However it hasn't been struck the best and I'd probably pass on it and wait until a better struck one becomes available. They are very common so you should have no problem picking one up.
Pillar of the Community
India
738 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin looks fairly acceptable.It is from the mint Shahjahanabad with epiphet "dar ul khilafat".
Pillar of the Community
United States
3057 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
grancap74 & Bacchus2 & drnsreedhar- Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately, I am presently far from my Krause Standard Catalogs. So would you say that this particular coin is worth th $25?
Pillar of the Community
India
738 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It weighs about 10.5gms in silver. Farukhsiyar coins are not very common and cannot be called scarce either. (Muhammad shah coins are more common). In Indian conditions, this looks reasonably priced as $25 will convert to ~Rs.1250/-. So please consider the availability of such coins there at your place and decide. I will surely advise in favor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3057 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
drnsreedhar- Thanks for the help and advice! I have NEVER even seen a mughal Rupee in my area of the States. I'm afraid that dealers don't know what they are and send them off to be melted, and in the case of Dams and Annas they are probably just thrown away. This is very unfortunate for people like me who love Indian coins.
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add brokencompass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Archraz, Which part of the states are you from? I can tell the Pacific Northwest has the same problem too!
Why not look for graded coins? Should take care of authenticity.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3057 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
brokencompass- Well, I would prefer raw coins since I enjoy being able to look at the surfaces as well as edges.

So are there a lot of known fakes of Mughal Rupees on the market today? Am I wrong in assuming that they have not been greatly targeted by the crafty forgers in China?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3057 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, well I have in fact bought this one. The strike did not bother me too much since it is still totally readable, and, well, I have never really even seen a Mughal rupee at a coin show or shop. So I'll let you guys know what I think of it when it arrives.
Valued Member
India
229 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2011  08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice buy arch,

few things about mogul rupees that you should know. forgeries are not made to fool collectors but for wedding presents so its very easy to make out.
The USA is full of mogul rupees you just need to know the right dealers. And you are right to buy them raw NGC and PCGS both are useless in authenticating indian coins for the most part.

$25 is neither here nor there could you have paid less yes but all in all you did ok. On eBay you can find all sorts of coins from india no need to leave your PC. Why there are dealers who are even selling modern coins by mintmark in for m of sets which is very difficult to find in india
Pillar of the Community
United States
3057 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2011  11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
spock1k- Thanks! That is good to know about the wedding gift forgeries, and that these fakes are pretty obvious. I think that $25 was an OK price. After all it is all about supply and demand. Since I really wanted one and had not found one in a shop or at a show in over 5 years, I think that it was fine.

So our of curiosity, just how common are authentic Mughal coins in India? I know that there was the common practice of melting them down when they became too worn (a practice relating to the right of Sikka), and the metal was used to re-coin current rupees.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3057 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2011  3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So regarding price, would you guys say that $35 is too much for a nice Rupee of this quality?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muchal-Shah...em3a6b978bb0
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1984 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2011  4:21 pm  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi - no I think that's on the money -- in fact probably a good deal. I'm always behind on how prices move on, so always undervalue things but I think this would be quite a good buy. It's a nice well struck coin with the important part of the date visible so I'd say yes!
Pillar of the Community
India
738 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2011  01:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi!Archraz! It is difficult to get coins with both regnal year and AH on flan. Condition of the coin is appreciable and it looks genuine too. A lesser condition coin without both the dates will commonly cost around $20-25. With both the dates and at this condition $30 would have been reasonable. That is what I feel.
Valued Member
India
229 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2011  02:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spock1k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Arch,

Authentic mogul coins are easily avaialable both in india and the US. The thing that stops it from being popular is the script. Since an average person cant read whats written on the coin they dont care much for it which in this case works to your advantage in terms of lesser prices.

Also serious collectors ( read high rollers) want to know what they are putting their money in rather than blindly trusting a dealer or an outside source. Whether you spend money on a mogul coin or any other coin always try and sell one or 2 coins early in our collecting days. It will give you a very good idea on the actual value of the coin. I stopped buying mogul coins in 2008 right around the time I left USA.

$35 IMHO is a bit on the higher side. Patience is a virtue. Buy choice coins, something that will stand out in your collection. If you want good deals on these coins and are seriously interested in world coins you should make a pilgrimage to CICF (chicago) if you can afford to do so. There is another show in Rosemont this November as well. I will not be able to attend. But do your homework before you make the trip.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05