Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c & 2c, worth collecting?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Australia
122 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  07:38 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ingine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've been offered a bag of 1 and 2 cent coins in circulated condition, sight unseen.
Are they worth buying?
Are there any 'collectible' 1's & 2's out there I should keep an eye out for?

Pillar of the Community
Australia
643 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MobOfRoos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1968 2c is the key date. I have seen these go for more than $15 on eBay. The 1968 1c and 1969 2c are also fairly scarce.

If you can get the full 1966 to 1990 set of either of them that would also be a bonus
Pillar of the Community
United States
2677 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couldn't believe what I was reading, until I realized it was an Aus. post.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
518 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AaronG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depend how many coins and how much you are paying.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only pay face for my coins. I usually get them from the bank. Some banks will tell you they are not allowd to 'sell' them. Some are eager to get rid of them due to the number they must have before being returned to the RBA. Some have told me that they are no longer legal tender (completely wrong!). The coins you are looking for are the 2 cents without the SD initials. I have rarely found any errors worth keeping. I am not convinced that the coins would be unsearched, especially the 2 cents. It is also not difficult to get a complete set, including mintmarks. I have kilograms of them, all sorted by date. Some of the later dates are still in reasonable condition.

I haven't been to a bank asking about them for some time.
Valued Member
Australia
122 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ingine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you MobOfRoos, I now know what to look for
Yass - it is the bank who wanted me to buy them , at face value, they just want to get rid of them.
aarong- the bank have $15 worth for me (for $15).
And fioti - I'm not quite sure what you mean
Thanks for the help people
Valued Member
Australia
357 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2011  01:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Enlil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fioti thought you were talking about U.S currency Ingine.
Valued Member
Australia
278 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2011  9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gecko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow I might go to my bank and see if they have any now.
hope I dont get funny looks asking for them....
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3715 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2011  11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It depends entirely on the staff in the Bank. I use 2 Branches of 'Which Bank?', and at one they'll let me have the 1c & 2c, in fact they're happy to get rid of them, at the other branch "No way, those coins are not allowed to go back into circulation".

So if you don't have any success at one branch, just try another one.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
278 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  01:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gecko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for that will do!
Valued Member
Australia
122 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ingine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I asked the teller quietly and she told me she needed to keep a few in the draw to balance to the cent.
She looked at me like 'who is this crazy woman' then asked "what do you want them for"! I told her I collect coins and she immediatly got another staff member (presumably higher up) and asked her if they had any more.
The second lady said she would love to get rid of the $15 worth she had. This was a pretty quiet branch of the ANZ.
So there is no harm in asking for the manager and just being honest.
I am yet to go back and get them but will tomorrow.
Good luck
Valued Member
Australia
278 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2011  12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gecko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oh thats cool!
I am with ANZ so I will see what they have for me tomorrow at lunch.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2011  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have also asked if they have any foreign coins that they don't want. I've been successful occassionally. There is a term that the bank uses. I think it is 'mutes'? Damaged or useless coins. Damaged may also be worth looking at.
Valued Member
Australia
122 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2011  12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ingine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I just went in to pick up my $15 of copper and the lady was really sorry that there was only $8 worth of copper and that the other $7 worth were actually 1966 50cent coins!
Needless to say I told her not to be sorry as I'd be happy to take the 5o's off her hands too!
She was kind enough to spend 20 mins with me even though she had a que building up, and she took my details to call me if anything else came in I might be interested in
Kinda feel like I scored!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2011  12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well I just went in to pick up my $15 of copper and the lady was really sorry that there was only $8 worth of copper and that the other $7 worth were actually 1966 50cent coins!

How dare she! I'd be writing to the manager responsible and ask for the other $7 in copper.

Meanwhile, I'll help out by taking those pesky 50s off your hands.
Valued Member
Australia
278 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2011  12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gecko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!!
Good work indeed!
I am shocked, and sad as I cant even find my one 1966 50c coin.
I hope to have a score like this one day!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05