Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Brazilian currency

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
314 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2011  11:10 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Secret Argent Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So I was in the US Currency section, replying to a post about a "short snort" which is where people sign bills as kind of a drinking game. Much like the challenge coins of today.

so I purchased a couple of bills I thought might be short snorts and I'm trying to do research on them to confirm.

In googling it seems there's a lot of brazilian currency from this time period which is hand-signed on the front? Apparently by the governmental authorities? That just seems so odd and cumbersome to me. Maybe there wasn't a whole lot of currency issued but it seems someone would still get bad writer's cramp!

I am just curious how this worked and if a signature denotes something special or if different signatures mean different things or what.

Edited by Secret Argent Man
11/27/2011 11:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
Thailand
1401 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2011  12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thai-vic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 Cruezeiro ND(1944)P#132.
10 Mil Reis E17A(1925) P#39d.

I'm not sure about the second signature at the upper left on the 10 Mil Reis. Could have been addad later by someone not connected with the issue.

As you point out it would have been crippling work for anyone to 'handwrite' every note. I wonder if they were mimeographed after the note was printed. So here goes my theory. Manufactured by the American Bank Note Company. Transported to Brazil uncut. Signature mimeographed. Sheets then cut for issue.
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The signature across the protrait on these Brazilian notes are handsigned. The signatures are not mimeographed as has been suggested. The signatures were for validation and were applied in Brazil.
Valued Member
Australia
146 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add huckles888 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Early issue notes for the "Hong Kong & Shanghai Bank" in hong Kong were also "signed"

Agree with you Secret Argent Man that it would have been cumbersome but they do make for fascinating pieces
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageShop at PDS Coins!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05