Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Variety and Error Coins, Bank Notes, Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1c 1979 double 1979 (entire date)

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
SPP-Ottawa
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
3575 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  10:50 am Show Profile Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

While the die deterioration doubling of the 1979 cents have produced a wonderful progression of the 9, 79, and 979 doubling, it is quite rare to find one so far gone as to find elements closer to the rim doubled, such as the entire date. To put it in perspective, this is the ONLY mint state coin I have found in 6 years of hunting, that was doubled enough that ICCS agreed with me. I found one in AU a couple years back, which I will gladly replace with this one. Certainly, this is a variety that the coin roll hunters should watch for. I'll try to capture a macro photo of the date sometime (not easy through 2 layers of plastic).

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.ca/SPP-Ottawa
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with getting a shot through plastic being hard, the scanner will usually catch the details though even if it flattens out the luster and such.

Nicely done.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
878 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. And if you are looking for a home for the Au 50...........
Pillar Of The Community
United States
10576 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found one not to long ago roll searching. I have found one or two of the 79 and 979 as well.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
aha just wondering what the price is for the AU-55
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add staircase to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find! I've never found a full doubled date. The best I could do was a strong '979' doubling with the standard -20 deg. rotation.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
902 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littlemoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best I could do was a strong '979' doubling, with doubling on the C in Canada.
Valued Member
Canada
182 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2011  10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kitsy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice.........have a few as well which have the doubbling leaves
Valued Member
Canada
218 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2011  11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mysterious_dr_x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice catch! 1979 is definitely a year full of surprises :P
Valued Member
Canada
219 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2011  4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DvntMstr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find :) I've found the double 9s, double 79s and even the 979s but I've never run across one with complete date doubling -guess l have to search more rolls :) Indeed 1979 was a year of fun surprises.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2011  5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey smallcentguy, ill maybe buy the 1979 Au-55. How much?
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Canada
3575 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2011  10:42 pm  Show Profile Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to also take the eBay listings with a grain of salt. I have wasted far too much money chasing mislabeled listings such as '1979 doubled date' or '1979 doubled reverse' which in reality, end up being doubled 979 with other elements of doubling (leaf edges or obverse features like doubled jaws, chins and foreheads). As for the doubling of the entire date, you have to take my word (unless a ton come out of the woodwork, and I just had bad luck) that this is a scarce coin, probably near the end of the die's usefulness.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2011  10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so you dont wanna sell the coin?
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Canada
3575 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2011  12:19 pm  Show Profile Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your post is confusing me coincollect1, there is no coin for sale in this thread. I just wanted to share some roll-hunting experience on what I believe is a hard-to-find variety.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2011  12:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I confused your name with small cent guy
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
878 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP....

You got me on the hunt on this one.....

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05