Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Next buy Digital Microscope

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
784 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2011  10:09 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pman860507 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Digital Microscope and Camera 20x-200x.
I have been looking at these on amazon not a bad price range 20-100. I really don't want to spend a whole lot of money (mostly because Christmas is coming up soon. so if I have to spend a whole lot I will wait till next year.

Does anyone own any of these. If so what did you get and does it meet all your needs?

I know that you get what you pay for and the more expensive ones are probably better. if that I the case then I can always wait.

I want to use it for looking at errors/varieties. but I want the image and pictures colors to be accurate for posting them.

Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2011  10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you really want a better solution to look for errors and varieties in a lower price range, in my opinion, invest in three things:

1) A good 12+ megapixel camera with a good optical zoom (which run between $80 and $300)
2) A short tabletop tripod that you can angle to directly face your working surface (free, if you know where to ask).
3) A good tabletop fluorescent lamp (again, free if you know where to ask).

If you set up those three together properly, you can have nice, sharp 4,000 x 3,000 pixel images of your coins.

Most of the "digital microscopes" in that price range are crap and the higher ends of the zoom range is "digital zoom" which isn't useful for looking for varieties and errors.
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
A Database of Counterfeit Coins.
Counterfeit identification and attribution services.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11210 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2011  12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a Celestron 44302 and it's just barely o.k.,it cost me $60 a few years ago but is cheaper now. If you type 44302 john1 in the search box upper left of page you can see the photos and get an idea of what it can do. Also,type in Dino-Lite.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
United States
784 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2011  2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pman860507 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont have a lot of room on my desk for a bunch of stuff. everything also has to be put away when im not using it. if my 2 year old had his way he would be playing with everything in and on my desk all the time.

I was thinking something like this I could easily just unplug and put away quickly, and viewing the coins on my PC vs a small loupe is the other bonus.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2011  2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RMAN4443 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three weeks ago,I purchased a Carson Z-Pix 200 at Brookstone for $70.00.I am returning it in about two hours.I played with it for 3 weeks and I think it's a piece o' KAKA!
I get much better results with my camera.I'm gonna return the microscope,and invest in a good magnifying glass or loupe,and if I see anything through the glass I'll take a picture and give the coin the up close and personal exam on my puter.
I really feel like the money spent on the microscope was wasted and could be used on some other item.......Like Coins.
Anway,sorry for the rant but that's my opinion'
Pillar of the Community
United States
784 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2011  2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pman860507 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is this the one that you got.

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-443...90056&sr=1-2

Edited by pman860507
12/14/2011 2:21 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11210 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2011  4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but they have a newer model that's cheaper on Amazon.
John1
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2011  5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaycutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought the Veho discovery.Very limited and in my opinion a waste of money.Camera is a much better option.
Pillar of the Community
United States
784 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2011  2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pman860507 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So im going to do 1 of 2 things. buy

Celestron 44302-A Deluxe Handheld Digital Microscope 2MP for 38.00
or save up 400 for a dino-lite.

how important is it that the LED's can turn off?

Edited by pman860507
12/16/2011 2:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11210 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2011  3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Controlling the light is very important. And the Dino also has white balance control and the Celestron doesn't.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
784 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2011  5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pman860507 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I Now actually looking at this. not sure if the other one blows this out of the water but its seems pretty nice. videos show close up on coins.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dino-Li...em5890435f03

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05