Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Special edition set - Loonies quality

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2011  10:41 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Any comments on the quality of your sets?

I ordered three (kids) and the twenty five cents pieces are OK, toonies are quite nice and on par with Oh Canada sets and the like.

The loonies however look like someone beat the Queen silly with a frying pan before they did her portrait. I wonder if they used them to balance wobbly tables before they sealed them up.

Really disappointing actually.

Pillar of the Community
United States
920 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2011  11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canuck1us to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you....overall okay but not great.

The Queen on my loonie has a scar on her cheek...reminds me of the G.I. Joe I had when I was a youngster!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4529 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  01:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The only things I order from the mint are items like the 20 for 20,or the 5 packs
All the sets I buy,I get from dealers,I root through a box looking for the best.*

*I did buy one set at the boutique for Ms. Blunt to sign
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1701 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2011  9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some comparison with other RCM Loonies. Quality not the best for sure.

Valued Member
Canada
404 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add North of 49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been noticing bag marks on "uncirculated" type sets more and more lately. I've been finding better quality in my pocket change.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm actually disgusted, I wrote the Mint, but I doubt it will have any impact. I CC'd the Minister of Finance just so his office gets an inkling that his cash cow might be on the wrong diet.
Pillar of the Community
660 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2012  5:36 pm  Show Profile Check qbvbsite's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add qbvbsite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope the Silver loonie I ordered (25th ann.) is in better shape :(
Edited by qbvbsite
01/05/2012 5:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1701 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2012  8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Silver Plated Loonie is virtually flawless. It has a brilliant relief on a brilliant background similar to the what we used to get in the UNC sets.... High quality.

** Speaking of the SP Loonie **

There was a comment on the RCM web site:

"When I wanted to cancel as order that took over a month to be shipped and couldn't... your employ took me that they would be shipped and I could use them as ordinary currency in every day purchases. The reason I buy from the mint is for my collection or a collection for someone else... I want uncirculated coins. I was insulted by his comment."

Pretty expensive pocket change...
Edited by canadian_coins
01/05/2012 8:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
660 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2012  8:37 pm  Show Profile Check qbvbsite's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add qbvbsite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm looking forward to receiving it :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
815 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2012  12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverBug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bought a few silver maple leaf with leaning tower privy coin. there is bag mark on queen's face on EVERY coin. which leads me to think that the coin design is flawed so that 2 coins will touch each other at the center
Valued Member
Canada
323 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2012  02:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RogerD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silverbug how did you get those privies already? A friend is picking one up for me next week as soon as they come in at J&M. Looking at one on Youtube I saw no bag marks but upon hearing your experience it ha me wondering what condition mine will be in.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
639 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2012  12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrpiedfort to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SilverBug, you could be right about the origin of those bag marks on the Queen's face. Sorry to hear that all your SMLs have them. I just ordered 3 F15 SMLs so I'm worried.
Edited by Mrpiedfort
01/15/2012 12:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
815 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2012  10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverBug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@RogerD
that friend happens to be me:) small world, right? they already have it in stock, another proof that some of the J&M staff doesn't know what they are selling. the one on youtube has same problem, I already watched it and saw the flaw, not very obvious though.

@Mrpiedfort
thanks. the leaning tower privy coin comes in tubes like bullion SML, so coins are stacked. F15 coins are stored in seperate capsules, should be ok. I only bought 3, they are just bullion coin with a few dollar more over SML, so I'm not worrying about it, I'm more worried about RCM's quality control, what if that 9999 is at risk...
Edited by SilverBug
01/15/2012 11:03 pm
Valued Member
Canada
323 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RogerD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Mrpiedfort I've noticed that they upped the price to $60 on those f15s. The finish isn't as good as in previous years, more grainy and often the finish has very small spots where the finish hasn't taken to the coin properly.

Valued Member
Canada
323 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RogerD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Silverbug Boy howdy it's nice to see a friendly face in the forum.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
639 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrpiedfort to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@RogerD Where did you see the 2012 F15? Is it on the net other than the RCM website? So apart from the date, the finish and quality are differet from the F15s/F12s of previous years? Might think about cancelling one order.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05