Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

2001 20 Cents Federation Victoria (Type 2 Reverse)

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
mrcruise
Valued Member
Australia
215 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  04:19 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Can someone please explain the difference between a standard 2001 20 Cents Federation Victoria Reverseand a 2001 20 Cents Federation Victoria (Type 2 Reverse).

A picture would be even better. I've gone through hundreds of these coins and cannot find any differences between them

Any advice wouldbe greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Formerly nancyc
Australia
3632 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  04:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where is the Type 2 reverse mentioned? I'm not sure it even exists.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
215 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  04:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only have Mcdonalds 2009 handy at the moment

Check bottom page 124 under "Twenty Cents - Federation"

It states....."The Victorian issue has two reverse dies identifiable by comparing the coin"
Edited by mrcruise
01/03/2012 04:39 am
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3632 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  04:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reference to Obverse dies is probably to do with the IRB under the bust. Some are all spaced A_R_B, some are A_RB. What is meant by the rest of the sentence is a mystery.

I can surmise that the Victorian Coins may have been minted with two different Obverses, due to the IRB, but to my knowledge, there is only one reverse. Some of them do have slightly thicker numerals for the two dates on the reverse, but that's only due to the die wearing, not a different die being used.

I'll see if I can get some images of them and post them here later this week if I can find the time to do it.

Too much tennis to watch at present.

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
215 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  04:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for reply Nancy

I am already aware of IRB differences on all 2001 20c coins......but I do agree that the mention of the reverse die statement in mcdonalds is a mystery as I cannot find any info on it anywhere
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4398 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  04:51 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was not aware of two reverse die varieties but after consulting 2011 maccas there appears as if there may be. The lack of information he provides in his books regarding varieties is inconsistent and frustrating. Some varieties have full colour images showing differences and then some such as this 20c just mention the existence of a variety. After reading another thread about the next installment of his book removing the Perth Mint issues it would be great if he could expand the information he has regarding varieties.
Valued Member
Australia
215 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  04:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur, but I can't say I will miss the omission of the Perth Mint since I see Perth Mint Coins as purely collectors items except for their bullion releases and thus lack the historical significance of coins produced at RAM though they too to a degree have gone quite commercial
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3632 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  05:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I can offer at present is to look carefully at the '9' in 1901, it can be thin in appearance, or thick, due to the die wearing I believe. I do have both thin & thick ones, but don't have any images yet.

Nancy
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  06:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the pics, bit hard with my elcheepo camera. Don't know if this is what you've after but hope it'll help, here are my 3 vic 20's with the irb joined and spaced couldn't see any other major differences sorry

and here are a couple of vic 50's, can you see the slight differences (branch in hand and hair)..very hard to pick up but one is a bit rougher stamped than the other..not as fine in detail, does this mean anything?

Valued Member
Australia
215 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see difference in 50c which seem like die wear hence less detail.....was particularly interested in 20c reverse as it is mentioned in mcdonalds in what seems like a passing statement with no further detail provided. Thanks for pics Ausjack which are actually quite detailed. I'll have a look at Nancy's suggestion of the 9 in 1901 as it sounds plausible to be a different die as stated by mcdonald, just like 2007 20c thick and thin '7'
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3632 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the date areas of 3 different 20c coins. The top is a 'normal' coin, & in the next 2 the dates are doubled or thick.

There are quite a lot of 'error' coins in the CoF series. I'll see if I can find my list if anyone is interested in seeing it.

I haven't done any images of them yet, and there are more errors in 20c than 50c in my view, but I have to admit, I haven't dragged my coins out to examine them all closely. I'll get around to it one day.

Nancy
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4398 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  6:40 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be interested in seeing your list nancy. Please try and dig it out for us.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3632 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
List of CoF 20c Errors:
State	Side	Error
Qld 	Obv	 Cuds down face profile X 3
Qld 	Obv	 Strike Through Between Hair & ‘Liz"
Qld 	Obv	 Partly Filled ‘R':
Qld 	Rev	 Filled 9
Qld 	Obv	 Partly Filled ‘B' ‘R' ‘A': 
Qld 	Rev	 Filled 9
Qld 	Obv	 Partly Filled ‘R' ‘A': 
Qld 	Rev	 Filled 9
Qld 	Rev	 Cuds in some Shoe Prints
NSW 	Obv	 Cuds   Front Of Hair, Under Chin: 
NSW 	Rev	 Die Crack Bottom Left Corner Map To Rim
NSW 	Obv	 Cuds   Back Of Head
NSW 	Rev	 Cuds Beside The Left Of & Under Map
NSW 	Obv	 Cuds   Front Of Hair
NSW 	Rev	 Die Crack Bottom Left Corner Map To Rim X 2
NSW 	Rev	 Die Crack Bottom Left Corner Map To Rim X 2
NSW 	Rev	 Cuds To Left Of & Under Map
NSW 	Rev	 Cuds Beside The Left Of & Under Map X 2
NSW 	Rev	 Cuds Beside The Left Of Map
Vic 	Obv	 Die Crack Neck Towards Rim X 5
Vic 	Obv	 Cud Bridge Of Nose
Vic 	Obv	 2 Cuds Back Of Head
Vic 	Rev	 Thick 9 In Date X 3
SA 	Obv	 2 Die Cracks Neck To Rim, 1 To Rim
SA 	Rev	 Die Crack Rim Through ‘F' & On Through 2 Flower Petals X 2
SA 	Rev	 Die Crack Rim Through ‘F' & On Through 1½ Flower Petals
WA 	Obv	 Cud Cheek, Die Crack 1 To Rim
WA 	Obv	 Die Crack 1 To Rim, Strange Patch On Cheek (Strike Through Or Pl Flaw   I Don't Know Which)
WA 	Obv	 Die Crack 1 To Rim
WA 	Obv	 Strike Through Nose, Multi Fine Die Cracks, A,U,A,I,A + 1 (All To Rim)
WA 	Obv	 Cuds At Hairline, Eyebrow, Bridge Of Nose, Fine Line With ‘Beads' From Lips To Chin
WA 	Obv	 ‘Flap' Of Metal Above Top Point Of Map Spreading To Rim X 2
Tas 	Obv	 Strike Through Forehead To Nose, Die Crack 1 To Rim
Tas 	Obv	 Strike Through Forehead, Nose, Mouth, Cheek
Tas 	Obv	 Strike Through Hair To Nose, Fine Line With ‘Beads' From Chin To Halfway Down Neck
Tas 	Obv	 Rough Patch Chin To Centre Of Cheek (Strike Through Or Pl Flaw   I Don't Know Which)
NT 	Obv	 Strike Through   Temple
NT 	Obv	 Strike Through   Nose & Top Lip
NT 	Obv	 Cud Bottom Lip
NT 	Obv	 Small Cuds Cheek & Chin
NT 	Obv	 ‘Stitched" Lips, Fine Line With ‘Beads' From Lips To Chin
NT 	Obv	 Fine Line With ‘Beads' From Lips To Chin
NT 	Obv	 Cud Nose, Fine Line With ‘Beads' From Nose To Chin
NT 	Obv	 Small Cuds Cheek, Fine Line With ‘Beads' From Top Lip To Chin
NT 	Obv	 Filled Die, Faint ‘Zabeth"
NT 	Rev	 Filled Die, Faint ‘Territory'
ACT 	Obv	 Pl Flaw In Front Of Nose
ACT 	Obv	 Long Cud On Cheek
ACT 	Obv	 Part Filled R:
ACT 	Rev	 Filled, E,E,B,R,G In Celebrating: E In The :S,R In Australia
ACT 	Rev	 Cud On 2
ACT 	Obv	 Cud Chin
ACT 	Obv	 Cuds Nose, Chin, 2 In Hair,
ACT 	Obv	 Cuds, Hair & Nose
ACT 	Obv	 Cuds Nose, Chin, 2 In Hair X 2
ACT 	Rev	 Cud In Front Of 2
ACT 	Rev	 Filled, E,E,B,R,G In Celebrating: E In The :S,R In Australian X 3
ACT 	Rev	 Filled, E,E,B,R,G In Celebrating: E In The :S,R In Australian X 3, Cud Between A&T Of Celebrating, + Cud On Bottom Right Stroke Of N, Cud To Left Of Map In Front Of 2
ACT 	Rev	 Filled 2nd E Of ‘Celeb', Cud In Front Of 2, Die Crack Across Top Of ‘Ebrat' & Bottom Of ‘Leb' X 2
N.I. 	Obv	 Cud   Cheek (Small)
N.I. 	Obv	 Cud   3 on Cheek (Small)

Just discovered I don't have a list for CoF 50c errors, maybe I haven't found any yet, but I know they exist.

Nancy
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4398 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  7:27 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a huge list nancy! I haven't got that many of them but now I'll be checking them all.
Valued Member
Australia
215 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  01:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are great pics nancy and I think the differences are right there...tell me what you think....
Look at the tower to the left of 2001 in your top photo - the edge of the middle tower is partially front of the RH tower whearas in your bottom 2 pics the middle tower does not obstruct the RH tower

Do you agree?

I think that's the 2 reverse dies right there in your photos

Thanks heaps - Mystery solved in my opinion

PS: Nancy, would it be possible to post full pic of coins just to be sure?
Edited by mrcruise
01/04/2012 01:12 am
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3632 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think that's the 2 reverse dies right there in your photos
Heheheheh! That's just where I've cropped the pics. The original parts of all 3 coins are identical. Sorry....

Nancy
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05