Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Variety and Error Coins, Bank Notes, Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1989 underweight quarter

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Wade
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1120 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  6:30 pm Show Profile Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

found this today in a bank roll,

the entire surface has a fairly even dull matte finish, except on the highest of the high points.

the back has some pretty good random pitting.

tips the scales at 4.7g - 4.75g (reg quarter from that year 5.05g) although it seems the same thickness.

thoughts?

thanks
wade

Edited by Wade
01/03/2012 6:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1725 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
are those indents on the coin?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the planchet it was made from is full of gas bubbles or something, be fun to cross section that one.

I have no idea why it's underweight unless those holes are representative of metal missing through the entire coin. All heavily circulated coins are a little underweight to start with.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1120 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  8:48 pm  Show Profile Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ya but its not really heavily circulated, at least in wear and tear, there is still a lot of crisp detail.

would the lack of plating make up for the weight loss?

at first I thought someone had sandblasted or etched off the plating but then the whole thing should be worn?

then considering the condition of the planchet I figured more likely a mint error (plating issue?)

wade
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those coins weren't plated in 1989 they were made from pure nickel, their specified weight is 5.07 grams, same as all the way to 1968. There are several metal impurities and cooling problems that can cause gas bubbling in nickel.

But really, I have no idea what's going on here.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Canada
3453 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  9:11 pm  Show Profile Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the coin magnetic?
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.ca/SPP-Ottawa
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1120 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  10:34 pm  Show Profile Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ya, sorry, it is magnetic
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1120 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  11:25 pm  Show Profile Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
R.Canadian Mint 1990 fiji 10 cent piece, 4.78g , 23.6mm , nickel bonded steel ?

not sure how the mint works, could canadian 1989 quarters have been made after the 1990 fiji coin ?

is there a database that shows detailed production for the RCM ?

thanks
wade
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is nickel bonded steel you should see a difference in metal colour at the rim because it's a basically a nickel clad steel coin, not plated, clad - so a sandwich of metals similiar to a US quarter (except with steel, not copper alloy). Might explain those divots in the coin as rust holes from pitting?

There's no database of what they make, half the time I think they take on work at a loss just to keep people employed and don't tell us in the reports. The only website I know of with references like that is here and it's not well arranged.

http://www.coinscan.com/for/foreign.html

Valued Member
Canada
374 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add west- canuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would acid have created the pebbly finish and divots ?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1120 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  12:14 am  Show Profile Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i looked through coinscan, thats where I came up with the fiji 10cent. I thought nickel bonded steel was an alloy rather than plated. if it was plated I would expect the low areas to be shiny and if the higher areas polished off they would oxidize, but this is in reverse. the high spots on the coin (rim, lettering etc) are more polished than the low relief areas which has the 'matt' finish.

i would think acid would erase a lot of the finer details. the jewels in the crown, hair/eye on the cariboo etc are all really crisp.

the divots do look like voids or bubbles, and the matt finish looks more like oxidation than a "finish".

with the weight being low I was thinking thin planchet but the details are all there.

bad planchet or foreign?
Edited by Wade
01/04/2012 12:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No way to know without a metal analysis. It's still an interesting find. From casual photo observation it looks like solid nickel, so I'm leaning more to bad planchet.

But yeah, nickel bonded steel is a sandwich, bare on the edges as I said. Steel and nickel look alike but you'd still notice a change in colour.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05