Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Norfolk and Norwich half penny 1702

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
297 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  6:55 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Imasnore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have included a couple jpegs of this "token"
Mintage is unknown to me as is rarity.

Is there a reference for this type of token? I tried google and eBay etc but it does not come up. Any idea where to look ?

Valued Member
Canada
366 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aiglet7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that this site will provide you with some of the information you are looking for.

http://www.thecoppercorner.com/history/default.htm
Learn More...
Australia
11222 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would be "1792", rather than 1702. Your token is an example of what the Americans call "Conder Tokens".

"The Token Book" by Galata Press is probably the cheapest all-in-one-volume British tokens book. It sadly lacks detail on many 1600s types and many varieties of 1700s types, but it's still better than the little 1970 edition I used to rely on.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alexol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've just joined as I've inherited a very small coin collection and have NO idea where to start...

The second one I looked at is absolutely identical to this item, and I was wondering if you had found anything further?

Generally, where does one start finding out how to identify coins? Several are apparently from Roman times - probably not uncommon - and a few are much older Greek coins, but most worn to the point where you can't read much. A few are more modern 16th century, which are legible, but again most are not in great condition.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Alex

Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alexol -

There is a version of Dalton & Hamer's Conder token book for free online.

Entitled 'Dalton & Hamer's The Provincial Token Coinage of the 18th Century,' here is a link to an article which may help:
http://www.numissociety.com/content...18th-Century

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05