Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2012 First Finds

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1959 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1StarLight, I personally believe that one has to have some level of OCD to get into coin collecting in the first place. It's a prerequisite of sorts. :)
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  03:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1StarLight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then CelticKnot, we must have arrived in the right place....lol. Oh, and by the way, I don't know if you collect clan badges but I have two that I bought from a yard sale recently. These came from Edinburgh castle.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1959 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1StarLight - clan badges is one thing I don't collect...yet. :) I gotta draw the line somewhere until I hot the lottery. :)
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  02:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1StarLight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok CelticKnot, haha...... I got these as a package deal with several other items I was buying. It was too good a deal to pass up. I already sold the scrap silver and gold out of the pile except one of the silver charms. I checked on eBay about the badges and they are running around $40 something mostly. They are interesting pieces and I have put them away for now. Not intentionally collecting them. My focus is coins but when it came as a bonus with the buy I could hardly pass it up. For what I paid for everything and what has sold plus present value of the things I am keeping it is several times my money. What I sold already has brought me over 9 times my money.

Never know what you will find or what else people will offer to sell you at a yard sale. She didn't have those out or the 1986 Statue of Liberty commemorative coin. When she saw me take an interest in the coin bracelet then she brought the rest out and added it to what I had already chosen and sold it all as a package deal. Kinda like the surprises when you find silver coins among the regular ones or in change from the store.

Hope everyone is having a terrific weekend.
Edited by 1StarLight
02/27/2012 12:41 am
Learn More...
United States
21380 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wouldn't really care all that much if they did kill the cent, but they could at least stop making them for several years, because they make WAY to many cents each year IMO. 5 billion (in 2011)? Really? Half of the cents I get back in change these days are 2011's.
They make so many each year because the majority of cents are used one time and then tossed away (into change jars or the rubbish bin). A good reason to kill it off.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, aside from the boondoggle with the dollar coins, they mint coins to meet demand. They mint billions of cents each year because that's how many get removed from circulation, plus the number of additional that are needed from the growing economy/population. It's not like they're minting 5 billion pennies and they just go sit in a warehouse unused (again, excluding the dollar coin boondoggle).

When you factor in economic growth requiring an increased coin supply, and divide the rest over the population (even ignoring the fact that US coins circulate in some other countries), that's not a lot of coins removed from circulation per person. It's maybe a dozen cents per person.

Did you remove fewer than a dozens cents from circulation last year? If you've searched even one just one box for wheats you've probably removed that many. I removed a few thousand cents and I don't even search them as much as other denominations. When I run across particularly nasty zincolns while roll searching that I think are unfit for circulation, I just throw them in the trash, and I am hoarding all the coppers I come across.

There are people hoarding new boxes of cents by the box. Setting aside $100 worth of new cents each year for a dealer or cent enthusiast is a small investment. The ryedale folks are removing copper from circulation by the ton.

When you consider all the ways coins get removed from circulation, 5 billion cents a year is not actually that many! It's also part of why they're so wasteful to mint.
Learn More...
United States
21380 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did you remove fewer than a dozens cents from circulation last year?
I pull all of the 95% copper cents from my change, which means I am way past a dozen per year.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1StarLight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have to say, I too have pulled several pounds of copper pennies out of circulation, the wheats and also separately the 2009 Lincolns.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add copperhead1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am from NJ....but was in Marco Is. Fla. last week....and was getting 2012 new shinning pennies down there.....the 1st that I have seen!
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1StarLight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you copperhead1. Still watching here in my corner of NC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Captain ........ I dunno, some Denver coins get to me through circulation in pretty nice shape even though I'm on the Philly side of things.

And with me too ! ...(cause I did that for years too--and had A LOT of great BU finds in my hardest to get "P mint"...... but my point was that "some" coins ain't gonna work !
"Some" coins for each and every denomination in my albums will leave me with TOO MANY empty holes! .... ... ----** And a nauseating headache of endless frustration trying to "upgrade" to a better coin....or NEVER being able to upgrade a coin that way.

If one is satisfied with whatever condition the coin is in
once it's placed into the "hole".....that would make life "somewhat" easier......then just plumb "finding" the coin is all you've got to worry about.

But, my points are still there too, with the Native Dollars, and the Kennedys.........getting "those" from the wild in both P and D mint ? ....
Don't see how !
That is why I just mentioned that the "full" Uncirc. Mint Sets supply EVERYTHING I need, right then and there.
I don't have to wait months....or even years or DECADES to find the coin......or "the other mint" that I need. (And "upgrading" is unnecessary)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2442 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I found my first 2012 quarters today -- took then right out of my husband's pocket change.

I cannot explain why that makes me happy, but it does.
Learn More...
United States
21380 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am sure you are happy for the find, not because you took your hubby's change.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4167 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ValiantKnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They make so many each year because the majority of cents are used one time and then tossed away (into change jars or the rubbish bin).
Hmmm, good point. Figured there must be some reasoning behind all of the tons of cents made almost every year.
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just cracked open a box of dimes and it appears that 2012 has arrived in Southwest Florida for that denomination as well. Today's box of nickels does not yet appear to include the new vintage.
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05