Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Third Party Coin Grading (TPG)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

I need a litte help with getting coins graded.

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
yuengling101
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2012  8:33 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add yuengling101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Well I am kinda new to coin collecting, been collecting for about a year now. Im at a point were I got a handfull of nice coins I would like to send out to get graded.I know theres Anacs and Ncg, but who is the best, what yearly plan would be best for some one who only plans to send about 10 coins a year in. I dont know any thing about the process, and when I looked at there websites it looks like I need to become a member before I find the stuff out. I could use all the help I can get.

Thank you
Ron

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2614 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2012  10:52 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ron,

For low volume I'd recommend ANACs because there is no membership fee. Both PCGS and NGC will get you for $50 right off the top.

As far as reputation is concerned, PCGS leads the pack and is followed in order by NGC, ANACs and ICG. I wouldn't recommend any but these four.

You don't have to be a member to submit to PCGS if you can find a dealer with a membership willing to submit for you. I've found this to be a big hassle and of course the dealer will add a surcharge to cover their costs.

Finally, the decision will boil down to what you want. If you are building a collection and someday may want to compete in the PCGS registry, use PCGS. If you have some coins that you just want a reputable grade on so that their liquidity increases (future intent to sell), use ANACs. If it's an extremely rare, high-value item ... use PCGS.
So many coins, so little time ...
Valued Member
Greece
405 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2012  11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add epop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if you register in ngc in the premier level you pay 140$ but you receive a coupon for five free submission.So you get your money back.Found ngc easy to use.Also I send coins to PCGS through a dealer but the get expensive as you must submit all coins prior 1950 to secure plus submission.
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2012  12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yuengling101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you have some coins that you just want a reputable grade on so that their liquidity increases (future intent to sell), use ANACs

Thats what I was looking for, so it looks like I need to do look into ANACs thank you both for your help
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5012 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2012  3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are not submitting anything of very high value, ANACS would be the way to go. ANACS often have specials, so look out for those. For the past two years they have had a special in the fall where you can submit 10 coins for $100 with free return shipping. Also check to see if there are any local shows they are attending and you can submit there thus saving on shipping.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2012  10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I miss having ANACs 40 miles up the road. You could get preliminary opinions without paying, and pick up your coins in a week.
Valued Member
United States
432 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2012  11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Westwood Arms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would never send a coin to ANACS, their graded coins sell well off NCG or PCGS prices for slabs. PCGS for US copper, NGC for everything else.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always been happy with the money I've gotten from ANACS slabs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ron,

Just curious, what specific coins are you considering to send off to be graded?

There really isn't a reason to send them to be graded, unless you want to sell them. Dealers do it, since they know they can sell them quicker, when slabbed. Plus if the dealer feels they can get a high grade on them, it'll help support their grading opinion to get the big bucks on the coin.

Wes
Edited by wquinn
01/17/2012 08:57 am
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yuengling101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off sorry for being late to respond, I am only interested in selling non silver/gold coins so I can purchace more silver/gold coins. I have a handfull of coins I either aquired or got at great prices and I feel if I pay to get them graded I could make a great profit.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3957 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  10:56 am  Show Profile Check Jaobler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The PCGS Platinum membership gives you 8 "free" submissions for your annual membership fee which I think has been $199. You still have to pay for shipping both ways but if you have 8 or more coins to submit this is the cheapest way to obtain PCGS certification. The membership entitles you to full PCGS website access and periodic grading specials so overall it's a fair deal.
Valued Member
Malta
58 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulport15 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS is a very good company
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it sounds like you want to slab clad or copper coins? Are they in a high grade?

If you can list them, along with what you think they grade, we can help tell you if they are worthwhile to slab or not.

Also, it can cost like $20 or more per coin (plus any membership costs), with the cost of round trip shipping, so it eats up some profit. So you have to know how much you paid for it and how much you could sell it. If it is less than $20 per coin, you'll end up losing money.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2012  08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So you have to know how much you paid for it and how much you could sell it. If it is less than $20 per coin, you'll end up losing money.

If it is less than $30 more than you can get for the coin raw, you lose.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4372 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2012  1:12 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say if you are looking to resale the coins after grading, and they have values over $300 go with PCGS, ANACS for anything else.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm thinking of getting some coins graded as well. Reading PCGS I see when you join the Platinum for instance , you get so many submissions free. Are there any other fees attached? Looking at the site it was a little confusing. Thanks
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05