Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Token/Medal Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
271 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2012  07:46 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add OddCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

What you're about to see is my entire collection of tokens, medal and other coinlike things that are (I assume) from before 1960. I've been collecting for a few years, but just started to narrow my field of interests down to tokens, medals and odd coins.
Any information you have about these tokens and medals would be really helpful, please tell me if I have something good!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1700 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2012  09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome aboard. This is a great website for collectors, new and old.

Although I've collected tokens for many years, I've not before seen this one. I'm inclined to then suspect that it's a scarce item, maybe worth $10 or more? Perhaps some Canadian token collectors will chime in on this piece. It was likely holed to be worn, and a ribbon may have once been attached.

You might attach some history to it by Googling the Duke and reading about his visit to Canada in 1901. As that was the year of the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, your token/medalet may have been connected to that event as well; perhaps, sold or made there in Buffalo? Let's see what others may say ...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2227 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2012  11:48 am  Show Profile Check chequer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect tokens/medallions too, and have not seen this one before. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2733 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2012  1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One's on ebay now. Cant post a link. It has a 9.99 bid, but appears to be brass. Also, doesn't show rev.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4887 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2012  02:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one on ebay
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2012  03:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be the same dies. But the OP's specimen appears to be struck in aluminum, which was very common for 1901
Valued Member
Canada
271 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2012  08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OddCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the wait for more pics, I couldnt get the forum to work. Here are some more:

1939 coronation medal. This is the large version, I have a smaller one too vut it's not as nice as this one.
Edited by OddCoins
01/20/2012 08:32 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2227 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2012  09:31 am  Show Profile Check chequer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice toning on the '39 medal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2012  12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OddCoins, 1939 would be too late for a coronation medal. Actually it commemorates the royal visit to Canada.
George VI (and his consort queen Elizabeth) was the first ever reigning monarch to visit the country. They came in May 1939 for the celebration of the sovereign's official Canadian birthday.
Valued Member
Canada
271 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OddCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the wait, I finally figured out how to post images.

This thing is a button, but it appears to be made out of a coin. It says something, but I can't tell what.

A token from General Motors, advertising Cadillac cars.

A castle. I don't really know anything else about it.

I'll post some more later today.

-OddCoins
Valued Member
Canada
437 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The castle may be a British Condor token, where there was a trapped gas bubble in the metal used to strike the piece. That could leave such a nicely-struck part of a token.
Valued Member
Canada
271 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OddCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was one of those, would it be struck on the back also? Mine is one-sided.
I got it at a coin show or flea market for a quarter, because no one knew what it was. Neither do I!

-Oddcoins
Valued Member
Canada
271 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OddCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More!

A nice medal for the St Louis Church. The medal appears to have been made shortly after the Church burned.

Some kind of medal commemorating Queen Victoria and King Edward. Is it a coronation medal?

A 1925 wheatie with an "E" stamped on it. The old flea market seller thought it was a Canadian large cent!

I think this is a campaign medal for Grover Cleveland. It's one of my favourite medals in my collection.

Last but not least (well, maybe it is,) here's a plastic token from the Sauder Oil company advertising their new Hygrade Motor Oil. I live near Niagara Falls and go there often, so this is a cool local token for me.

That's all for now,
Oddcoins
Edited by OddCoins
03/21/2012 4:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some kind of medal commemorating Queen Victoria and King Edward.

I rather think it's Alexandra (his wife).
Valued Member
Canada
271 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  07:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OddCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OH! I wondered why it would show Victoria. That's good to know, thanks for the help!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05