Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

5000 Wheats, ideas?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2012  11:45 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wolverine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So for Christmas my parents bought me a bag of 5000 wheat cents. I haven't opened it yet because they bought my son like 5000 toys so we have been playing with those.
I'm going to open them this week (I hope) and I really don't know what to do with them. I don't expect to find any key dates, maybe some semi keys, but I don't know what to do with the rest I don't need.

My girlfriend suggested selling rolls on eBay, but I'd feel crumby selling rolls in an auction when I know exactly what's in them. I was thinking I could make some starter sets or something, but even if I made 10 starter sets I'd still have tons left. I'm already sitting on about $250 in wheat rolls I've collected.

Give me some ideas?!?!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2012  12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Find a crucible and start a raging fire!

My suggestion would be to do something fun, whatever it is. There is nothing wrong with throwing your wheats on eBay. If you really don't know what is inside, then you can say that. If you search them, then let others know that you did.

Everyone is going to hate me for saying this, but actually, I like to spend wheats some times. If they are full or verdigris, damaged, serious cull, or a very worn common date... I get a kick of putting them back out there for others to find. You might be surprised what kind of kick you get out of spending a wheat here and there. Great conversation starter, too.

Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2012  12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Left to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
use it to get your son intrested!
Roll Hunting Finds
2 buffalo full dates
3 war nickels
1 silver dime
1 NIFC
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2012  12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, start your son a collection
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2012  12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wolverine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem I have with putting them on eBay is they are all loose, so ill roll them, and then I am just selling stuff I don't want because its the bottom of the barrel stuff.

My son is 19 months old. He loves change to fill his "piggy piggy", but it will be a few years before I can get him into it.

Is be more than happy to make starter sets for anyone here that has kids they want to teach.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1581 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2012  1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My local shop pays 3 cents per wheat no quantity too large.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2012  2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sold around 10,000 wheats on Craigslist last year to a guy who searched every one with a loupe for varieties. He knew they were already gone through by me. He also must have a lot of patience.
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2012  4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add texfischer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well, you could give them too me...;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2012  12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Starting albums for your son would be cool......

But why not just keep them ?
Why "do" anything with them ?
Even common date Wheats are worth .02 Cents apiece !
Maybe when your son is 86 years old, he'll be very happy to have something that his Grandfather gave to his father, who then gave them to him !
And maybe by then, the Lincoln Cent will be LONNNNNG gone, driving up the prices of Wheats in the process.....and through the decades maybe they'll inch ever so slowly up and up and up !

Ha Ha........ well, just something to think about ! .....
Pillar of the Community
United States
2533 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2012  1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gothic Florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the idea of starter sets. You could also sell rolls that have a bunch of different dates in them so that people know they aren't just getting a bunch of 1950s.
Oldest Found:

Cent: 1899 - Two Cents: 1867 - Nickel: 1916
Dime: 1943 - Quarter: 1964 - Half: 1917

Canadian silver:
Quarter 1966
Pillar of the Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2012  1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lincolncentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You havent even opened them yet...why are trying to figure out what to do with them now? You dont know...there might be some good dates in there. And...do you have a complete set of Lincolns? Might be some you need in there. Have fun looking through them...and then decide what to do with them.
Learn More...
United States
21374 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2012  5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Find a crucible and start a raging fire!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ljenkins990 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were me, after I searched through all of them, I'd make those starter sets you mentioned and then spend the rest. Some of them might find their way into the hands of a young future-collector.

But, I could never get rid of a batch of wheats like that unless I went through them myself first. Even if I grabbed 25 of them at random and they were all 1959s, I'd still have to look at each one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even if I grabbed 25 of them at random and they were all 1959s, I'd still have to look at each one.

I'd be very excited to find a 1959-S Wheat cent, let alone 25!
Pillar of the Community
United States
784 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pman860507 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But, I could never get rid of a batch of wheats like that unless I went through them myself first. Even if I grabbed 25 of them at random and they were all 1959s, I'd still have to look at each one.

That would be awesome if it was all 1959 Wheats
Pillar of the Community
United States
1984 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add halfabustisbetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are starting a collection, get an album and pick out the best one of each date. If it can be a family activity--even if only for a few minutes at a time--it will be worth it. Then when you are finished, just weigh the coins and put them in a container and start an honest eBay listing describing what you're selling. By honest I mean don't use the word 'unsearched.' No one with half a brain believes that anyway. Start it at 99 cents. It was a gift so any sale with be profit. Use the money raised to buy some cents that are missing from your album. Then tell your parents what an awesome gift it was and hope you get another for your birthday!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05