Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I hit the jackpot with paper money (sort of).  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community

527 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  5:14 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Today I stopped at a bank (which will remain nameless for confidentiality) to look for some nickels. I ended up getting $20 worth. I then asked the teller, "Do you get any of these old 5 dollar bills?" and I pulled out a 1995 bill from circulated use. The teller said that she normally doesn't but then remembered that she has $500 in face value of the old blue seal five's! I had $260 on me so I asked to buy that much; she agreed and said I would have to wait 10 minutes for her to open the vault. When she came back, she had them wrapped in a paper seal down the middle that said "500" on it; as she counted them, she found two more recent "old" fives that were not blue so she put those aside. I asked her if she remembered who brought them in and she didn't; she said she also didn't remember how long they had been in the vault; she originally planned to sell them to the US Mint for them to be destroyed!

I have stopped in before for halves and nickels so she remembered me; she asked me my name and I told her Daniel. We struck up a conversation for about five minutes; she asked if I worked and I told her that I do not work and that I am a college student at the moment. She did promise that she will continue to hold onto the remaining $230 in face value of 5 dollar silver certificates.

I collected 52 $5 silver certificates, 15 of which are from 1934 and the rest are from 1953; I have already purchased all of the "Series 1934" certificates she has and none of the ones I have are star notes. I will upload pictures later today.

What do you guys think of this? I mean I'm sure you'll be a bit envious and start to but what is the current value of these bills? Right now, I have no desire to sell them. I am going to hold onto them and see if their value goes up. If I never sell them, they are going in my collection for my possible future children and grandchildren.

Valued Member
Canada
174 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find, sounds like you had a good day!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2616 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find! As for value, that would depend on condition. If CU/AU I would put them at least double face value. But that is based on what they bring here in eastern N.C.
ANA Number: 3176204
Pillar of the Community
United States
1212 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  6:34 pm  Show Profile Check coinsearcher83's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, congrats!
Just a busy college student working on a lowball 7070.
(I'm supposed to be studying)
Pillar of the Community
United States
5579 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find!
Pillar of the Community
527 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...SCF1088.JPG" onClick='doimage(this,event)'>

I'm sorry about the quality. I really do not know how to take better pictures with my camera.
Pillar of the Community
United States
665 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  12:48 am  Show Profile Check brenpickle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brenpickle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AWESOME I need awesome find like that.
Oldest Roll Finds:
Cents 1902
Nickle 1917
Dime 1941
Quarter 1964
Half 1960
Valued Member
Sweden
68 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  04:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add almingbg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice banknotes, they look pretty decent (can't see any rugs)

Congratulations on your find
Pillar of the Community
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great find, its hard enough to find the dollar silver certs. You can just about double your initial investment if you sold that as a lot. The collector in me would say just keep those.
Pillar of the Community
527 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ended up going back to the bank. The teller said she has about $220 in face value more that is left. I asked if any of the certificates were star notes; she looked through them and found star notes on 4 of the bills.

She was true to her word that she will continue to hold onto these for me until I get enough money to purchase the rest. I will upload the star note certificates later.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13118 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VERY nice find. Just wondering if there are unique serial number notes? Unique SN's add value.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 4+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
527 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^ To answer your question, I haven't looked through them in great detail yet.

I have a question of my own: If you guys look at my first picture, you will notice a wrinkled up bill on the bottom right side; that bill has a decent sized tear in it. Now my question is this: If I put a piece of tape on the back, would it devalue the bill? Much like cleaning or polishing a coin pretty much devalues it by a lot, is taping together paper money the equivalent?
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't tape it.
Pillar of the Community
527 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2012  12:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two more questions:
1. Is ironing the bill to flatten it worse as well?
2. How do I protect the bill from further tearing?
Edited by TheDanMan
01/20/2012 01:01 am
Valued Member
Sweden
68 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2012  02:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add almingbg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ironing is wrong. Absolutely. Don't do it. Please. (For more info, search the forum)

If you want to improve the look (remember: you can't improve the quality) of the wrinkled note, put it in the book and then put something heavy on the top. Then leave the note for a couple of days/weeks.

If you want to protect your notes, put them in plastic non-PVC holders.

Reg. the tape, don't do it. Tape and tape stains are the major PITA to remove.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3413 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  11:55 pm  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some people just don't take the time to read. That's probably the reason why the $1 bill is so accepted in its FRS form after a slow transformation from silver certificates to United States notes to Federal Reserve notes.
Selling paper money: http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos (UNC): P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b.
Nickel, not Nickle :)
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2015 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2015 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05