Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Paper Money and Banknotes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

I hit the jackpot with paper money (sort of).

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
TheDanMan
Pillar Of The Community
527 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  5:14 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Today I stopped at a bank (which will remain nameless for confidentiality) to look for some nickels. I ended up getting $20 worth. I then asked the teller, "Do you get any of these old 5 dollar bills?" and I pulled out a 1995 bill from circulated use. The teller said that she normally doesn't but then remembered that she has $500 in face value of the old blue seal five's! I had $260 on me so I asked to buy that much; she agreed and said I would have to wait 10 minutes for her to open the vault. When she came back, she had them wrapped in a paper seal down the middle that said "500" on it; as she counted them, she found two more recent "old" fives that were not blue so she put those aside. I asked her if she remembered who brought them in and she didn't; she said she also didn't remember how long they had been in the vault; she originally planned to sell them to the US Mint for them to be destroyed!

I have stopped in before for halves and nickels so she remembered me; she asked me my name and I told her Daniel. We struck up a conversation for about five minutes; she asked if I worked and I told her that I do not work and that I am a college student at the moment. She did promise that she will continue to hold onto the remaining $230 in face value of 5 dollar silver certificates.

I collected 52 $5 silver certificates, 15 of which are from 1934 and the rest are from 1953; I have already purchased all of the "Series 1934" certificates she has and none of the ones I have are star notes. I will upload pictures later today.

What do you guys think of this? I mean I'm sure you'll be a bit envious and start to but what is the current value of these bills? Right now, I have no desire to sell them. I am going to hold onto them and see if their value goes up. If I never sell them, they are going in my collection for my possible future children and grandchildren.

Valued Member
Canada
171 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris86 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find, sounds like you had a good day!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find! As for value, that would depend on condition. If CU/AU I would put them at least double face value. But that is based on what they bring here in eastern N.C.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1057 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  6:34 pm  Show Profile Check coinsearcher83's eBay Listings Check coinsearcher83's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, congrats!
Just a busy college student working on a $1 block set from circulation.
(I'm supposed to be studying)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5014 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find!
Pillar Of The Community
527 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...SCF1088.JPG" onClick='doimage(this,event)'>

I'm sorry about the quality. I really do not know how to take better pictures with my camera.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  12:48 am  Show Profile Check brenpickle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brenpickle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AWESOME I need awesome find like that.
Oldest Roll Finds:
Cents 1902
Nickle 1917
Dime 1941
Quarter 1964
Half 1960
Valued Member
Sweden
68 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  04:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add almingbg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice banknotes, they look pretty decent (can't see any rugs)

Congratulations on your find
Pillar Of The Community
United States
842 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  12:46 pm  Show Profile Check kookoox10's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great find, its hard enough to find the dollar silver certs. You can just about double your initial investment if you sold that as a lot. The collector in me would say just keep those.
Pillar Of The Community
527 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ended up going back to the bank. The teller said she has about $220 in face value more that is left. I asked if any of the certificates were star notes; she looked through them and found star notes on 4 of the bills.

She was true to her word that she will continue to hold onto these for me until I get enough money to purchase the rest. I will upload the star note certificates later.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
9879 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VERY nice find. Just wondering if there are unique serial number notes? Unique SN's add value.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar Of The Community
527 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^ To answer your question, I haven't looked through them in great detail yet.

I have a question of my own: If you guys look at my first picture, you will notice a wrinkled up bill on the bottom right side; that bill has a decent sized tear in it. Now my question is this: If I put a piece of tape on the back, would it devalue the bill? Much like cleaning or polishing a coin pretty much devalues it by a lot, is taping together paper money the equivalent?
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't tape it.
Pillar Of The Community
527 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2012  12:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two more questions:
1. Is ironing the bill to flatten it worse as well?
2. How do I protect the bill from further tearing?
Edited by TheDanMan
01/20/2012 01:01 am
Valued Member
Sweden
68 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2012  02:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add almingbg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ironing is wrong. Absolutely. Don't do it. Please. (For more info, search the forum)

If you want to improve the look (remember: you can't improve the quality) of the wrinkled note, put it in the book and then put something heavy on the top. Then leave the note for a couple of days/weeks.

If you want to protect your notes, put them in plastic non-PVC holders.

Reg. the tape, don't do it. Tape and tape stains are the major PITA to remove.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2904 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  11:55 pm  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some people just don't take the time to read. That's probably the reason why the $1 bill is so accepted in its FRS form after a slow transformation from silver certificates to United States notes to Federal Reserve notes.
http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos UNC!: P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b. :)
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05