Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Final" Configuration  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  09:09 am  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a stunningly gorgeous coin and photo! I think your test of repeatability was a success. I notice you've been shooting at f/5.6. I've been mostly shooting at f/8. Do you think that's still a decent "sweet spot" for the 75ARD1? Keep'em coming. This has got to be one of the best rolls of wheaties for toning I have ever seen!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2033 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Brandon. I still have 12 more toners to image and post!

I prefer to keep my effective aperture below f12 or so to avoid strong diffraction effects. For full frame Cent photos, the magnification is around 0.84 to fill my Nikon sensor. Since the effective aperture is Feff = Finf (1 + M), this gives an Feff=10.3 for Cents at f5.6. For Dollars, you can stop down to f8 since the mag is lower (M=0.42). This gives Feff=11.4.

...Ray
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  11:15 am  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perfect, that was the exact explanation I was hoping for. I always forget that little formula. I look forward to seeing the next 12 toners!
-Brandon
Pillar of the Community
United States
2033 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's #8. 11 more to go...Ray

Edited by rmpsrpms
02/08/2012 9:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2033 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's #9, taken with the Canon T2i:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2033 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's #10, with Canon.

Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  09:00 am  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The filled date "9" and "5" are interesting on that one!
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

did you make the smile directors (covering light source) or are the available commercially?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2033 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Had to make them. Nothing like this is available commercially! Paper, scissors, tape...Ray
Pillar of the Community
United States
2033 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are 3 more. Just 6 to go...Ray

Pillar of the Community
United States
2033 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pink on the reverse of #8 is actually as vibrant as on #11 and #12, but the Canon seems to be bringing them out more accurately. I'm doing essentially the same post processing, using the same tool on both camera outputs, but the Canon is just doing a better job with color accuracy. Love this new T2i! But now I have to go back and re-shoot #1-#8...Ray
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1453 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off, sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, (as it were), BUT, I felt that it belonged back in the 'main stream'.
It helps explain A lot about 'smile directors' and I have to say that prior to reading this thread, I had No Idea what they were.

I hope this is ok.

Charlie.

And Ray, Beautiful work Sir!
ANA, CONECA, F.U.N. CCF! ;)

I Found a Penny and picked it up, Now I'm Addicted!

Collect what YOU enjoy and you Can't Go Wrong!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2033 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2015  7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No problem Dar, sometimes old threads have lots of good info. The original Smile Directors worked great, but since then I and several others have moved to fixed systems that do exactly the same thing but are easier to make repeatable. CaptainFwiffo was first to move away from applying the Directors onto the lights themselves, and did the "Lego" version of the Smilies. I took this one step further and moved them to attach directly to the filter threads on the lens, and the 'Cap took it even further with 3D printing of a modular Smilie system. He shipped me such a system weeks ago but work has kept me so busy I have not yet evaluated them. I plan to do a full evaluation on some toned Cents I'm supposed to receive for imaging, and I think the 3D printed system will get a full workout on them. You might PM the 'Cap for more info. I think they are partially documented in another thread as well.
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2015  6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wizzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comparing the "old" smile directors pictured in this thread, and the "new" smile directors a la captainFwiffo. It looks like they work differently. The old ones blocked out a smile like a smile shaped solar eclipse. The new ones let light through like a smile shaped spot beam. Which do you think is more effective? For the old or the new directors where are you aiming the light(or block out)? just inside the rim or just outside the rim of the coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2033 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2015  9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe they work essentially the same. If you look at the first post in this thread, you'll see two arc-shaped strips of light. These are due to the diffused gap of the "smile" reflecting off the mirror. The 'Caps system does the same thing but is not directly attached to the light head.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2015 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2015 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05