Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Value of a Set

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2012  3:56 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add collect4fun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

In trying to put a $ value on my Kennedy half collection, I have this question. Does a complete set of coins have a greater value than the coins as individuals. In other words, if I put a price (value) on each coin in my Dansco, can I than add a premium to that price because I have every coin? I guess one more way to ask is does my time of amassing this set put a premium value on it?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5077 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2012  3:59 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usually not, Most people buy sets so that they can cherry pick them for their own sets
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2012  4:38 pm  Show Profile Check BLUESZONE's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BLUESZONE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed the same thing trout1105 replied with. A set is only worth the sum of it's parts normally. I had a second set of Kennedy halves going just for the heck of it to resell, I had all the silver ones but when I checked the going prices on eBay it was only worth silver spot plus 50 cents each for the remaining coins. Wasn't worth my time to continue so I sold the silver and dumped the rest at the bank.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13028 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No where near the value of each separate coin. This is why dealers buy those Albums and Folders and take out each coin and sell separately. Selling a set is possibly the worst thing people do with collections for monitary purposes.
I always use a auto junk yard as an example. You take a complete car there and get a few hundred dollars for it. Now go back and try buying all the separate parts and find you could spend many thousands for your own car if purchased piece by piece. Same is true of many things and coins are really one of them. And most of the dealers that do buy the Albums or Folders just throw them away since they only want to sell the coins. Same is true of Proof and Uncirculated Sets from the Mint. Many dealers buy them, break theme apart and sell each coin and make a massive profit.

Quote:
I guess one more way to ask is does my time of amassing this set put a premium value on it?

NO. You did it for fun and few people will pay you for having fun.
just carl
Edited by just carl
01/24/2012 09:38 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinmap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the values for each coin only in my spreadsheet. I do it, because I am just interested in the triviality of what my collection would be worth in a perfect world. I am in no way ever planning to sell them, its just a fun thing to do.

In the end, if things ever do happen to sell, then the numbers that I have on my spreadsheet won't mean anything, anyway. It will all be up to what someone would be willing to pay for it, is what it's worth would be.
Learn More...
United States
21886 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have the values for each coin only in my spreadsheet. I do it, because I am just interested in the triviality of what my collection would be worth in a perfect world. I am in no way ever planning to sell them, its just a fun thing to do.
I do the same thing. It is mostly a curiosity, but it also reminds me that I am not counting on the collection for my retirement.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13028 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I too used to document the value of each separate coin. However, after well over 60 years of coin collecting, the amount of coins became a bit on the to many to document side. And also, the value of all the coins separately really got scarry. If I did document everything separately now, I think I'd consider selling them all and buying a secluded Aisland and relax in the shade of a palm tree.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know I would prefer to put together my own set rather than buying a complete set. I think I would feel like I was cheating a bit. Half the fun in collecting is taking the time to source out different coins and learn about them and if all the work is done for you its not nearly as fun.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2012  11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinmap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know I would prefer to put together my own set rather than buying a complete set. I think I would feel like I was cheating a bit. Half the fun in collecting is taking the time to source out different coins and learn about them and if all the work is done for you its not nearly as fun.

It also wouldn't be any fun if you could walk into a store, and buy every coin that you need, and take the searching out of it. To me, its the fun of the hunt.
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ContraJame to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard many members reference dealers at coin shows giving them multiple coin albums for free. I think it's safe to say some of these "free" albums are the product of sets that were purchased in an album and then broken out and sold individually for maximum profit.

Now that I think about it...I wonder if buying entire sets would allow me to improve my own sets at a reduced cost. Resale or trading away duplicates would come into play and time costs money. Something to think about I suppose.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4420 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back to the OP question ... I agree that a full set does not add value for most of the everyday coins that we deal with.

Acknowledge that you are not planning to sell ... but I suspect that nearly all true collectors of moderately available coins would prefer to apply their own standards of aesthetic to assembling a set ... and to those folks (most of us) a full set assembled by someone else will miss the mark.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13028 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've heard many members reference dealers at coin shows giving them multiple coin albums for free. I think it's safe to say some of these "free" albums are the product of sets that were purchased in an album and then broken out and sold individually for maximum profit.

Now that I think about it...I wonder if buying entire sets would allow me to improve my own sets at a reduced cost. Resale or trading away duplicates would come into play and time costs money. Something to think about I suppose.

True many dealers give away the Albums and Folders from purchases of the entire collections. Then the valuable ones are placed in flips, usually placed in glass covered display cases for sales. Almost all the rest are either put into bulk boxes, into 2x2's for boxes or those 3 ringed binders. Selling all coins from an Album can possibly profit margin massive amounts. Trying to sell old, used Albums and forders is sort of a waste of time for most so they are either thrown away or given away.
As to your second statement, sort of a yes. For some coins you could really purchase an entire set in MS grades, save for tomorrow and/or as an investment. Only problem is trying to sell if your not a dealer because you may end up selling for the same thing you paid.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5077 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  7:58 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had quite a bit of success buying collections and improving on my own collection.
After going through the collection I either keep the better coins for my collection and put my downgrades in the "spare" album and sell the rest.
I sell the better "rejects" and put the ugly coins in my bullion box.
I normally break even or make a few quid on the deal.
The sellers are happy, the buyers are happy and most of all I'm happy about it all
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It also wouldn't be any fun if you could walk into a store, and buy every coin that you need

That's what I called "checkbook collecting" back in the 70s. How much pride can you have in a set of Ikes or Kennedys (both highly promoted at the time) if anyone can walk into a coin shop and write a check for a BU and proof collection?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yah, I agree that buying a "complete set" is totally cheating => and absolutely zero fun!

... the only time that acquiring a complete set is acceptable is if your Granny (or a close relative) leaves it to you when they pass-away => then the complete set is extra special because you know that your relative must have spent time and effort collecting and enjoying the set ...

=> but sadly, even then it is only valuable to "you", nobody else would pay for that extra sentimental bonus!

... man, it always makes me sad when I think about Grand-kids selling-off their Grand-Dads coins ... oh well, I guess that's where the coins that I collect come from, eh?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5077 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  6:10 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeah, I agree that buying a "complete set" is totally cheating => and absolutely zero fun!

There is no such animal as a complete set.
How is it "Cheating" if you buy sets in the hope that you will get a couple of coins to upgrade with.
I'm talking about pre decimal Aus coins, that are no longer minted or in circulation.
The ONLY way to acquire these coins is to buy them and It is far cheaper to get the full/part sets than buying them one at a time.
And yes it is great fun going through them grading and cherry picking them for my own set, Which by the way will never be complete
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05