Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I foudn these coins yesterday...are they error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Australia
43 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  05:15 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikiriki to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi guys, very new to the error coin thing...I seen these while noodling and they didn't really look right to me. Could someone please tell me if they are PMD or legitimate errors? Thanks!

there are two "scrapes" near the last I that I had never seen before

The "lip" of the coin around the outside seems uneven

Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  05:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
could you get a side on shot where its wider? they do have an oval look
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  05:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2002 seems quite off centre. I would think most things indented on a coin such as scrapes and scratches are PMD.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  05:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry ikiriki still learning my self so we'll have to get nancyc in on this one but the tennis on so we know where she is
Edited by Ausjack
01/26/2012 05:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
513 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  05:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add the-purple-penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scrapes are likely rolling machine marks. These occur on the ends of security rolls.

The 2nd coin looks a little off centre, barely though, how is the edge milling? Can you photograph that edge? Just trying to rule out a partial collar strike.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3725 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The scrapes are likely rolling machine marks. These occur on the ends of security rolls.

Ditto for what pph says re the second coin too.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
413 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add b_j_w_79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the previous posts. The scratches are from a coin rolling machine and the second may be slightly off centre but not really that uncommon or of great value. A side on view of the coin will confirm if it's something different!
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  02:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the other side of the 2002 is off center in the same direction, you have a slightly off center coin. Otherwise, it's a MAD error.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageShop at PDS Coins!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05