Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Price of a 09 S VDB What Would You Do

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
yotie
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  6:21 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am down to the last 6 LWC and of couse I didnt listen and saved the keys for last. So I was thinking of getting a G-4 to F-12 to match most of my set pre 31 32-50 are VF to AU and all past 50 are MS.
But this is the rub a G-4 is listed at $750 but for an extra $250 I could get one several grades higher
should I match my set or get the highest grade I can afford?

I bet after seeing us, George Washington would sue us for calling him "father."
Will Rogers
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's your collection, do what you want with it.

But in my shoes, I would go for one that I could afford.
"I'm living for giving the devil his due, and I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you.." Blue Oyster Cult
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BoomerSoonerOKU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My advice is to go with the highest grade you can. You can always upgrade the rest to match your key!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the up gradeing it what worries me :)
Will Rogers
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dear yotie,
What you "should" do is not relevant.
It is what you "could" do that matters.

You could do two different things:
1) Keep the 09-S VDB within the grade range to match the
dates pre-1932.
2) Splurge on a higher grade.

I admire your choice of grade ranges! It is reasonable and well thought out.

Any 09-S VDB would do. A Good with great eye appeal would be, in my opinion, a better choice than a Fine with so-so eye appeal. But that's me.

An otherwise G to Fine pre-1932 range with an,
"By the way, this doesn't match as it is a Very Fine 09-S VDB" would be a nice way to top off your set.
Kinda, "Take that!"

I get the idea that overall eye appeal is important to you so that may trump any suggestions that any of us may offer.
But as you will probably, and should, buy a slabbed example of the key coin you can feel free to play it out it any way that suits you.

Guess I wasn't much help ... Matthew

I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1995 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am in the same boat as you. I don't know that it was wrong though. I bought my 14 D and 11 S in 1988 ($275 for the pair - 14 D is ANACS graded EF40-problem free & the 11 S is AU58 - looks MS63).

I think S VDB's available right now....well...is tough. Buy the coin, not the label. I have looked at a LOT of S VDB's in AU to MS64. I REFUSE to buy a coin with any problems...as the problem will always be there. Spots, freckling, dings, gouges, etc. I passed on a 62 brown that I kick myself for now. I just did not have the $1599 bucks. It was a NICE coin.

So, don't think you are behind the 8 ball, if anything, it is a wide open table for you.

I would DEFINITELY buy the highest grade you can afford....even if it means putting it on layaway.
United States
20321 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So I was thinking of getting a G-4 to F-12 to match most of my set pre 31... But this is the rub a G-4 is listed at $750 but for an extra $250 I could get one several grades higher
I am looking at this another way. If a G-4 will look good in your set, then consider what else you will be able to buy with that $250 (not spent on a higher grade).
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5612 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  11:49 am  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would (if I collected any series) get one that fits in (condition wise) with the others within the same date range, so it does not stick out.

In other words, hold off and get a 09 S-VDB that will compliment the others on the album page.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
01/27/2012 11:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12275 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure how to reply to that one. Getting a lower graded coin now and thinking that someday you'll get a much better one to replace it may well be a lost cause. The reason is simple. As our population in the World continues to grow, so does the amount of coin collectors. Only a few years back the population of the USA was a fraction of what it is today. And so is the population of coin collectors growing.
Now think of this. Any coin, that 09S VDB has 484,000 minted, and if you now have 3,000,000 coin collectors that collect Cents, guess what? Your chances of even getting a G4 will soon vanish.
So based on that Pessimistic statement above, possibly running out and buying the highest grade of that one now would be in your best interest. And or contrary to that, being satisfied with an entire Album of coins in approximately the same grade too could be rather satisfying.
If all were about the same grade on a page, sure would look more presentable than a page full of massive varieties.
And always remember that the 09S VDB is possibly the most counterfeited coins on Earth.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 09SVDB is one of the coins that is a must for being in a slab.
"I'm living for giving the devil his due, and I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you.." Blue Oyster Cult
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree on the slab for the S-VDB and talking to my local dealer he told me it may be hard to find a G-4 I am still months away from getting this coin but I did pick up a nice VG-8 10S and 14S
4 to go wooohoooo
Will Rogers
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  2:43 pm  Show Profile Check cc99999's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Save your money and be patient. There are lots of 09 S VDBs. My advice is to get the best you can reasonably afford. If the difference between a VF and EF is saving two or three months, then it's a no brainer. do that. Key coins in higher grades appreciate better than common low grades. also, not every coin in a grade is created equally. be selective. buy only online if you can return it... or get it in person from someone you trust. i'd also buy it slabbed if you can help it.

Price differential between grades:

G 825
VG +125
F +100
VF +200
EX +150
AU +150
MS60 +150

PCGS estimates only 6,000 survivors in MS60 and 44,000 survivors in grades below.
Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1479 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  2:50 pm  Show Profile Check Coinstar's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Coinstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i wish I had the money for those--I just put a "shield penny" in its place
"The internet? Is that thing still around?" Homer Simpson.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
10870 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  3:00 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with jbuck (again), I'd buy the lower grade and use the money toward the completion of your set. You can always upgrade later if you want.

I have to somewhat disagree with Carl. Even though the mintage is only 484k, there's plenty of them to go around. People need cash, quit collecting or die and new ones continually enter the market. I venture to say at any given time there are thousands for sale.

If you want to talk about TOUGH, talk about the 1914-D. I rarely see these for sale at dealers and shows. It's a much more difficult Lincoln to obtain, especially in the higher grades (>VF).
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  3:28 pm  Show Profile Check cc99999's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree about the 14-D, when I sold mine (XF-40) I was offered about 80% of Red Book for it by a dealer. Very scarce coin.
Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
United States
20321 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have to somewhat disagree with Carl. Even though the mintage is only 484k, there's plenty of them to go around. People need cash, quit collecting or die and new ones continually enter the market. I venture to say at any given time there are thousands for sale.
I agree with Thad as well. I have seen no shortage of the 1909-S VDB at the coins shows, in any grade.

Quote:
If you want to talk about TOUGH, talk about the 1914-D. I rarely see these for sale at dealers and shows. It's a much more difficult Lincoln to obtain, especially in the higher grades (>VF).
Again, agreed. I have it in my head to collect the Lincoln Cents in the common-to-key order; I must buy the 1914-D before the 1909-S VDB. I have been stuck on the 1914-D for a while after ripping through 1909-S and 1931-S relatively easy! Not easy to find one that will match my set. I let one slip by a while back thinking it was overpriced (I look back now and feel it was not).
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05