Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

should the 1 dollar bill be eliminated.

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ideally, the dollar bill should be eliminated. Unfortunately, too many people in this country are oblivious to inflation and removing the dollar bill will cause those ignorant people to go nuts over the value of their money because its a sudden change. They simply don't notice that the value of the dollar decays about 3% each year, but when the dollar is "suddenly" not worth printing, the <sarcasm> economy is going to crash, the government will shut down, every country will go into nuclear war, and the world will essentially end. </sarcasm>
Valued Member
Canada
219 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We've had dollar coins in Canada for years... And they sure do last much longer then a bill, I believe the average life span of a US one dollar bill is roughly 18 months. It is not at all uncommon to see loonies from the 80's still around
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
41 years ago
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All they have to do is get the size right .

Another ridiculous argument. Even children have no problem telling cents and dimes apart, which are much closer than quarters and dollars.

If the fed would simply fill orders for ones with coins, within six months, we'd be converted.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I love the idea of a "big" multi-sided coin or a "big" coin with a center hole. I think people would welcome those and use them

The big Ikes were far less popular than the SBAs or brass bucks.
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add f16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that the gov should make bigger 1 dollar coins the hole in the middle idea I do not like
Pillar of the Community
United States
9260 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When the government finally grows up and eliminates the dollar note, those of you who dis like the dollar coin please feel free to refuse to use it. We will be happy to give you back all your change in quarters. That will be 22.8 grams of metal for every dollar instead of 8.1 grams. Odd you said you didn't want five dollar coins, but if you would rather have 20 quarters that's fine with us.

I've noticed something. This poll has been done several times and it typically runs 2:1 to eliminate the note. This time it is running 3:1 to eliminate the note. We're gaining ground.
Edited by Conder101
01/29/2012 12:33 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinmap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get rid of the dollar bill, and replace them with $1, and $2 coins.
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will never carry the dollar coins just like I never keep change of any denomination in my pocket now (except for my Morgan dollar pocket piece, and it stays in the watch pocket). So I hope they will never try to replace the dollar bill with those dollar coins but do agree that will be the only way to get the general public to ever use them. But in my case it will just mean I will get more money back when I get the jug full and carry it to the bank to run through the machine to get US Currency for the change
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  12:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add riko44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find 'sizing' arguments strange.
US Quarter and One dollar coin's sizes are IDENTICAL to Canadian ones. 24mm for 25c and 26.5mm for $1
Canadians seem be having no issues with $1 coin.
I agree though that SBA color was indeed confusing.
But that is not the case with 'Golden' dollars

Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  01:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, riko44!

When you don't want to do something, any excuse is as good as common sense.
Learn More...
United States
22117 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 1 dollar note has already been replaced by a dollar coin. The problem is, nobody's had the guts to tell the Federal Reserve they've got to stop making dollar bills. American politicians all seem to be worried that abolishing the dollar note will somehow get them all thrown out of office.

Oh, puh-leeze. All they have to do is tell the American people, "Here are your $1 coins. You don't have to like them, but you will have to learn to use them.". Then delete the reference to $1 notes from the Federal Reserve Act. Hey presto, no more dollar bills made. The $1 notes already in circulation would vanish within a few months. Within six months, everyone will be happily using the coins and no-one will remember there was any kind of controversy about them.

Quote:
When the government finally grows up and eliminates the dollar note, those of you who dis like the dollar coin please feel free to refuse to use it. We will be happy to give you back all your change in quarters. That will be 22.8 grams of metal for every dollar instead of 8.1 grams. Odd you said you didn't want five dollar coins, but if you would rather have 20 quarters that's fine with us.

I've noticed something. This poll has been done several times and it typically runs 2:1 to eliminate the note. This time it is running 3:1 to eliminate the note. We're gaining ground.
I always quote the best comments so they can get the additional attention they deserve.

I was at a friend's house this weekend and the "dollar coin" topic came up (I will not say how, but I did not start it). Within five minutes I had everyone in agreement on the issue. Their reluctance to embrace the change was from an ignorance that I was happy to eliminate.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1129 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  3:03 pm  Show Profile Check coinsearcher83's eBay Listings Check coinsearcher83's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet another excuse is that they won't know what to do with George Washington if the bill goes away...
Just a busy college student working on a $1 block set from circulation.
(I'm supposed to be studying)
Have consecutive $1 bills from 2006-present? Please PM me.
Learn More...
United States
22117 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Washington never wanted to be on our money to begin with.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2602 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  4:03 pm  Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what is so horrible about a polymer $1.00?

I find it funny that just about the only place I see the majority of people wanting to get rid of the paper dollar and use the coins are those who are on coin forums! Yes, there are other websites out there (and youtube etc. etc), but it seems to be only online I hear anybody trying to say they like these.

Since talking on this site in another $1 coin vs bill thread, I have been asking people if they use the dollar coins (these are more than readily available where I am and people recognize them for what they are - and I do get them in change every so often from stores). Their reply has been the same - the people tell me they do not like carrying the coins b/c the weight of the dollars in their pocket is a bother. Notice I ask them IF they like using the coins, and not a loaded, mass-media-type question of, "Why don't you like..."

So make a polymer $1.00 and let the people who do not want the coins happy also - what evil is there in this?

On this site was another thread talking about the mint no longer doing the subscription program for these and that the mint was losing money b/c of (drum roll) the free shipping costs they were offering were hurting them. I wonder how much money would be spent over a period of years when having to transport these much heavier-than-polymer-bill coins to and from banks (en masse etc.)? It would be the private sector footing the bill (but saving in production costs for the mint) over and over.

Why does it have to be an either or situation? Variety is the spice of life! Cost might not be a factor if the bills are polymer then everyone could be happy - America traditionally has been about personal choice - not dictation (well - current light bulb situation excluded... )
Visualize Whirled Peas
- Doctors with patience will lose money letting loose their patients.
- They're over there with their car.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05