Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Tokens, Medals, and other Exonumia

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Help me with this Egyptian medal | French Conquest

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Coindog
Pillar Of The Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  5:09 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have been looking for what this is for the past year and have gotten no where. Anyone know what it is?

Identified - moved to Medals forum - Sap

Edited by Coindog
01/28/2012 5:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(French) Conquest of Egypt in 1798 ("AN VII" or 7th year of French Revolution).

That's when "civilized Europe" vandalized the Sphinx.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you know how old it is and who would have made it? Is this thing rare or just not even interesting enough for the internet?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I don't know whether it's contemporary. By the style of it I'd guess 1800's, but we need someone with good resources to answer your questions.
Valued Member
Canada
337 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aiglet7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coindog - Check this site. Think you will find it of interest.http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotvi...45aa45531f8e
Pillar Of The Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well now I know there are atleast 2 out there. I wonder why they dont have a date of manufacture. Thanks for your help guys.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
10703 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't have a date of manufacture, but does have a date for the event the medal commemorates: "Year 7". The French revolutionaries abandoned the AD calendar and started their own; it was used in France and French-conquered territories until shortly after Napoleon had himself declared emperor.

As for the actual date of manufacture, it's hard to say; these medals seem to have been reproduced on several occasions. This website lists your medal as "Laskey #8", indicating that most of them come from a set of restrike medals made in 1814/5, after Napoleon was defeated and exiled.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome Sap. I had no idea it was that old.
Pillar Of The Community
1147 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(French) Conquest of Egypt in 1798 ("AN VII" or 7th year of French Revolution).

That's when "civilized Europe" vandalized the Sphinx.

Ouch. Some rumors (or war propaganda stories? dunno) apparently never die ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...se_and_beard

Christian
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  02:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies to civilized Europe!
Pillar Of The Community
1147 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We Europeans may have been vandals elsewhere, but when it comes to the Sphinx, we're absolutely innocent. ;) The medal I find interesting; had a look at the enlarged image in the link that aiglet7 posted. The river god with all those little putti looks great ...

Christian
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Westmalle8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your query has prompted me to join Coin Community Forum.
First, as you are aware, this is a product of Monnaie de Paris (the French Mint in Paris). For the last few centuries they've been, and still are, producing the most beauriful and artistic pieces covering a host of subjects, personalities and allegorical themes. You know when it was originally published because it has the date.Whether it is actually from the principal emissions becomes tricky. Examine the EDGE and if you find CUIVRE or BRONZE with a cornucopia mintmark, or some other m.m. it will be a restrike from the mid 19th Century on.
This medal is listed as #F.44,in "Catalogue Generale Des Medaille en Vente" (please note: en vente - FOR SALE)
The diesinker was N. Brenet and was issued in two sizes, 27mm and 32mm.As you probably noted the medal commemorates the conquest of LOWER EGYPT. There were issues commemorating UPPER EGYPT and simple EGYPT. Thus three pieces for this event.
Granted I've had my copy of this catalogue for decades but as recently as about five years ago I gave my daughter the number of an issue I wanted, since she would be in Paris. She visited the Monnaie, strolled in and ordered the number,they brought it to her, she examined and purchased.
Hope this proves helpful.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8392 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an ancient Roman Colonial Alexandrian tetradrachm of Hadrian.
The reclining figure on the reverse of the tetradrachm is of Nilus (presonification of the Nile).
Would this this be the same personification on the Medal shown here?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Westmalle8 thank you very much for the information and welcome to the forum.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05