Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1790 Washington Manly medal - which variety?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
425 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2012  06:15 am Show Profile Check Jeff 11's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Jeff 11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Recently picked up this fantastic Washington medal by J Manly, made originally in 1790.

There are several different varieties of this medal, however I am not entirely sure which one this is. A quick flick through some auction pictures makes me think this variety is Baker 62B from the die cracks on the Obverse. Can anyone confirm this or have I missed a variety? If correct then this type was struck around 1850 using the original reverse die with the new Obverse. A really attractive medal, would be very tempted to keep it if I were not a dealer!

Some decent US and World medals and Coins for sale and in the archive part of my website http://www.kingstoncoincompany.co.uk
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2012  10:47 am  Show Profile Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Jeff. Send a pic to Stacks/Bowers. Unfortunately the Ford Collection photos are gone from the older Stacks firm when the Stacks family sold and they changed hands to Stacks/Bowers. Owned several - easily $2000-3000.00 or more today. There were some later restrikes but even these are minimally in this range. One of my favorites!

John Lorenzo
United States
Valued Member
United Kingdom
425 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2012  12:01 pm  Show Profile Check Jeff 11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff 11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John, I will follow your advice and send a photo to Stacks/Bowers. I'm tempted to advertise it for sale privately for a while and see what interest it gets, before trying it at auction
Some decent US and World medals and Coins for sale and in the archive part of my website http://www.kingstoncoincompany.co.uk
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2012  12:27 pm  Show Profile Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff -

The best sale to put this in 2012 is the Whitman/Baltimore Convention Sale with Stacks/Bowers. The Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4) Convention I believe is either September or November this year with that convention. This is the sale to consign it. Period. Discuss this with Stacks/Bowers after they give you the results of this piece.

John Lorenzo
United States

P.S. Send my 10% commission afterwards <BG>.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
425 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  4:47 pm  Show Profile Check Jeff 11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff 11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John,

Thanks very much for the recommendation, i'll definitely keep that in mind.

It does now seem fairly certain to be type Baker 62B, with the second obverse combined with the original Reverse Die, struck Circa 1850. Still a choice example, I've had diverging valuations from $1700 - 2500 based on that. Decided to put it in with a load of other listings on my eBay at a bit of an inflated price with best offer - see if it gets any interest in the short term, if not i'll probably consign it as suggested.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction on this one,

Jeff (London, UK)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05