Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Need opinions on what I see, PLEASE.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
988tech
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2012  11:26 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add 988tech to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This is a 1834 capped bust quarter that I had posted on another topic. Well, I was looking at it really close tonight and noticed this strange ghost like effect on the 4 in 1834. Also, the 3 looks a little odd. Is this normal? Is it repunched? Will it effect the value?

Thanks.

Edited by 988tech
02/02/2012 4:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1153 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a 1834/24 (repunched date), but I don't see it listed in my cherrypickers guide...
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 988tech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, well that is something different. I was getting ready to sell this on eBay, so in your opinion, how should I go about describing it or should I not even mention it? You can't see it with the naked eye and really hard to see with a mag glass.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 988tech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a cherrypickers guide. I guess I need to go buy one since I am starting to get into this. Seems like there are a lot of things to discover.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be obv 1. There are only two obverses known for the five varieties of 1834 and neither one is listed as having a repunched date. I see what you are talking about in the above photos but they aren't really very clear.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 988tech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Conder101, what kind of camera do most coin collectors use to get close-ups. I am having a lot of difficulty using a Canon Rebel. I took many pictures trying to get better ones, but these are the best I could do.
So if it is a obv 1, what does that do to the value of the coin if anything?
Thanks again.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5928 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  2:11 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will need to use the MACRO (the flower symbol) setting for close images.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
02/03/2012 2:12 pm
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 988tech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah. I just read that. Thanks. Will try it.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
6725 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Canon I use has a Super Macro mode that lets you get VERY close and detailed. Yours may also have that feature...
Links to ALL previous "Days of..." Threads:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...08352#108352
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 988tech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't wait to get home and experiment! THANKS!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05