Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need opinions on what I see, PLEASE.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2012  11:26 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add 988tech to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This is a 1834 capped bust quarter that I had posted on another topic. Well, I was looking at it really close tonight and noticed this strange ghost like effect on the 4 in 1834. Also, the 3 looks a little odd. Is this normal? Is it repunched? Will it effect the value?

Thanks.

Edited by 988tech
02/02/2012 4:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a 1834/24 (repunched date), but I don't see it listed in my cherrypickers guide...
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 988tech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, well that is something different. I was getting ready to sell this on eBay, so in your opinion, how should I go about describing it or should I not even mention it? You can't see it with the naked eye and really hard to see with a mag glass.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 988tech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a cherrypickers guide. I guess I need to go buy one since I am starting to get into this. Seems like there are a lot of things to discover.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8905 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be obv 1. There are only two obverses known for the five varieties of 1834 and neither one is listed as having a repunched date. I see what you are talking about in the above photos but they aren't really very clear.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 988tech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Conder101, what kind of camera do most coin collectors use to get close-ups. I am having a lot of difficulty using a Canon Rebel. I took many pictures trying to get better ones, but these are the best I could do.
So if it is a obv 1, what does that do to the value of the coin if anything?
Thanks again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5986 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  2:11 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will need to use the MACRO (the flower symbol) setting for close images.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
02/03/2012 2:12 pm
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 988tech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah. I just read that. Thanks. Will try it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6851 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Canon I use has a Super Macro mode that lets you get VERY close and detailed. Yours may also have that feature...
Links to ALL previous "Days of..." Threads:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...08352#108352
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 988tech to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't wait to get home and experiment! THANKS!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05