Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 S Morgan VAM? Need Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  4:23 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add amassey08873 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello, I need help with this 1878 Morgan. I'm trying to determine if its a VAM and which one if so.
I've got it narrowed down a little, but can't seem to eliminate it down to 1 that covers everything I'm seeing.
VAM 2, 9, 21? Are where I'm at, I'm having trouble finding one with what I'm about to list. Please forgive me in advance, if its something obvious. My brain gets a little scrambled whenever I spend a lot of time on VAM World. LOL VAM World couldn't make it any easier to understand. Its just so much information to dissect. And I'm still trying to get it all ta lay right in my mind.

I see the broken are like VAM 2 but my G isn't as clean cut open as the one pictured in VAM WORLD.

Now Im also seeing VAM 21, Doubled Liberty, Broken B, but the are in my trust is broken.

I've included some pics, if you could please take a look and tell me if I'm on the right track. Thanks so much!

Edited by amassey08873
02/03/2012 4:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amassey08873 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now the high points are a little dulled and discolored as you can see in the pics, but this could just be from sitting in a bag or roll......right?

Could you see this coin worthy of a 62-63.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
782 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My brain gets a little scrambled whenever I spend a lot of time on VAM World.

Secret Santa!
Upgrading my 7070 never ends!
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amassey08873 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  02:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, every Morgan and Peace are VAMs. The question is which one are they. And...I can't help you because that website makes my eyes bleed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2650 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  10:02 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
amassey08873,

The keys to attributing 78-S are the 'r' in trust and the fourth right star on the obverse. Verifying these two pups will help you narrow your search considerably. Your coin has a broken 'r' in Trust and what appears to be an unbroken 4th right star on the obverse (you will need to confirm). If you go to the VAMWorld page for the 78-S there is a hyperlink called 78-S B2 reverses. If you click on it they will be sorted by these two pick-up points (pups). There are only two with a broken 'r' and complete 4th star ... VAMs 5 and 6. Your coin does not appear to match either one, so I suspect that 4th right star may have a tip missing.

The list for broken 'r' and star is much longer but you can add another diagnostic. Yours does not have an "engraved wing feather".

Let us know what you discover.
So many coins, so little time ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  05:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amassey08873 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SeatedNut Thank you for such a thorough reply! Its just what I needed to stay inspired, I do see a chip missing out of the tip of the fourth star, Its the south west tip on the star if compared to a compass.

I included some more pics, a better shot of the G, A shot of the star and I still have to take a better pic of the broken B. f because the bottom part of the B is low, and you also have that circle just to the left of the "broken Part"

Edited because I'm a DA!

Edited by amassey08873
02/05/2012 10:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  05:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amassey08873 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THanks again for the help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2650 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  1:54 pm  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours does have an engraved wing feather (sorry). Look and compare yours to the VAM 9.
So many coins, so little time ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amassey08873 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again! I was burnt out, cause I read 9 as the are isn't broken lol That's the one!
It covers everything I'm seeing, thanks so much again. I've got to go look at how common they are.
Back to VW......Poof***
But seriously thank you, having that guidance is immeasurable. It really helped out a lot!

Now I'm on to a DMPL 1885 O Taking pics now and comparing.

You've been great!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1371 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  02:55 am  Show Profile Check mdpmedia's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I am trying to better understand which publication(s) to own in order to keep up on the top VAMs.

Therefore, I purchased Cherrypickers' Guide To Rare Die Varieties of US Coins, 4th Edition, Volume II.

In this particular book the only VAM mentioned for this year/MM is a 1878-S TDO(Tripled Eyelid), PUP(Liberty's eye & junction of wing and body), URS-7 I-3 L-3.

I cannot see any other noteworthy feature of interest in this book for the 1878-S and do not understand the association between what was discussed in this thread w/r/t to this book.

Is my book the best and latest publication from Cherrypickers for Morgan VAMs or must I upgrade?

Thanks,

mdpmedia

Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  05:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amassey08873 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mpdmedia go to this site called VAM World http://www.VAMWorld.com This site is thorough! Its easy to get overwhelmed with so much information, but you can use here on CCF to ask questions or the message boards on VAMWORLD, What I enjoyed the most about this site is the way you can start from the basics. It's well put together, If your really looking for a book, they have them listed too. I'm amazed that the site is free! Its that good. Good luck, let us know how you like it. For books on the subject follow this link, http://www.vamworld.com/VAM+Books
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One must remember, as far as the "DATE" is concerned. some have done extensive research for a year and mint mark, and they have a book or pamplets with extensive diagnostics and photo's which show all of the known VAM's for the 78-S series...My first impression was VAM 9, but I haven't had time to do any further research on your coin...
As far as book are concerned...Leroy's encycloeidia is the stating point. no mater the version...They are all out dated as far as the version of the book you may find but invaluable as a starting point...There are always updates that are supplements of the original book....Vamworld is a good starting point, AS
WELL is CCF as many members here, are well versed in the knowledge, and much friendlyier.....not to say they are not welcomed to new interest..its just many only think...they have a VALUABLE COIN...
AND EXPECT some one to point it out to them...as they have no interest in the coin or varities only7 the money it might bring...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05