Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1970S small dateLincoln cent

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
buffalojohn
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  3:24 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add buffalojohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello---new here and am looking to fill the last hole in my Lincoln Memorial album which is all BU coinage.I am looking for a small date s which I guess has the high 7 and the 9 points more toward the date than the mint mark? Also is the word liberty always or sometimes weakly stamped? Any good on line stores? Thanks for the help, hope I posted in the right forum.---John

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
buffalojohn

You can do a search up in the CCF top left search box for B&M, brick and mortar, for discussions on web stores, or hang around here for a while. I'm sure someone has one they are willing to part with in our Member Sales area.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, buffalojohn!

You can buy on ccf once you have 50 posts.
Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be careful on eBay. A lot of 1970 S cents are being sold (or advertised) as small dates when in fact they are large dates. Know what you're looking for.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, another member of CC helped fill my 70S Small Date hole. :D

And yes... I have personally spotted and reported several misidentified 70S small dates on eBay!

Watch yourself!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12506 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I would recommend going to coppercoins.com web site for detailed info on that coin but the guy that runs that site is shutting it down. He suggests going to the Lincoln Cent Resourse site now. And if you can find a 2012 Red Book by Whitman Publishing, on page 119 there is a really clear photo of those two.
So all yours are MS? Good going there.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11097 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  01:54 am  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Be VERY careful buying this coin. A vast number of them in the market are misidentified. If you're not really good at identifying them, I highly recommend buying one in a PCGS, NGC OR ANACS slab. This is one of the coins that's worth owning slabbed since it's a "key date" to the series.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CAREā„¢ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Edited by BadThad
02/05/2012 01:55 am
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  03:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't coppercoins.com a ccf poster?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  04:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you see one on eBay that you like, or anywhere else, you can always post a picture here and we can help you identify if it really is the small date or not. I got really good at being able to distinguish the small date. So yeah, we're free to help.
Oldest Coins Found in Circulation:
Cent: 1907 Indian (roll)
Nickel: 1916 Buffalo (roll)
Dime: 1926 Mercury (roll)
Quarter: 1941 Washington (bank tray)
Half: 1946 Walking Liberty (bank tray)
Dollar: 1971 Ike (bank tray)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3175 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My understanding is small date always has a weak liberty but not all weak liberty's are small date.
I could be wrong, god knows I've been wrong about aspects of this coin before.
I concur with those above, MANY "70s small date" coins on eBay are not as advertised
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add buffalojohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information. I found one on E-Bay for $69 plus change. I can't post the picture, it won't let me copy it. There is a good close up of the date. It is still in the cellophane, cut from a mint set, Both ends of the 9 are pointed, the 9 hooks sharply towards the numbers NOT the mint mark, the 7 is level with the 0 not dropped and also the 7 doesn't have a crease where the 7 forms an angle.The picture of the obverse isn't as good but the LIBERTY does look like it may be weak. I will post a picture when it arrives later this week.---John
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
9394 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is still in the cellophane, cut from a mint set,
A lot of them are found in mint sets. If you post a link to the auction or just the auction #, we can help confirm your coin.

United States
31 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add buffalojohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, the Item # is 140693152628. ---John
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
9394 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have hosted pictures from the auction.
Good news--this is definitely a small date.
Hopefully, those marks are just the plastic and not on Lincoln, because those marks would affect value.
Funny how they got a nice shot of the date, but not of the whole coin.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
12506 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Isn't coppercoins.com a ccf poster?

Yes he normally is. I go to that web site occationally and there it is announced that it wil be shut down soon.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jakeman406 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hi. all I was just wondering how many mint mark positions variety's you all know of on the 1970 S? I have seen at least three I think but 2 for sure Thanks Jake
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05