Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nickel collecting questions

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  6:58 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add NYBrian84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Along with roll hunting for half dollars, I am going to start nickel roll hunting.

What are some key dates to look for, and why? I know about the 1942-45 nickels, because they're silver. But what others? I'm not looking to meticulously look at each nickel, for tiny errors. I guess I'm looking for the more valuable ones, and the common/easier ones to spot. Also, should I be on the lookout for Canadian nickels?

Thanks!

Brian

Edited by NYBrian84
02/04/2012 7:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jizer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of us, myself included keep anything 1959 and below. Its a good way to find stuff. As for key dates: 1950d, 1938 s & d, 1955p. I know those seem to be hard to find. Im having trouble with 1949s and 39 s & d. Its really what you want to keep. I personally save every foreign coin I find because I think they are neat. Your call though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
842 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ancientcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes 39 S and D as well as 38 plain, D and S. Keep those, too! I also personally keep everything dated 1959 and before.
Check out my collection online at http://www.romanvmimperivm.com!
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Radarcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Count me in on the pre-1960 nickels. Though they are getting harder and harder to find in my local. Seems like everyone (tellers included) are saving.
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NYBrian84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's so special about 1959 and before?

Thanks for all the help, so far.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are many post 1959 nickels that can be valuable too.
My advice is to try making a set from roll searching and checking your pocket change. As you continue your quest, some things will start to "click" for you as to which are typically common and the conditions you find them in.
Eventually you will be able to determine what makes a particular nickel in hand special amidst all the others.
This forum is packed with posts about Jefferson nickels, use the search box with keywords and browse the modern coins section.
Get a RedBook and check out the online price guides ... Here's one for ya.
http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/price...icesgd.shtml
This series is my favorite and there is a lot you can learn while studying them that will help you gain tools and knowledge that is useful understanding coin collecting in general at a minimal cost.
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NYBrian84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried searching relative terms, and it was just so broad, I came up with too many different things. I appreciate your post, and all the helpful information. I'm sure, like you said, with time, I will know which are worth something, and which aren't. Thank you for the link, too!

Brian
Pillar of the Community
United States
2249 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  9:06 pm  Show Profile Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
keep Canadian nickels before 1982. They are 99.9% nickel (although some of the ones in the 50's are steel).

I don't buy into the pre 1959 thing. For example, They make 203 MILLION nickels in Philli in 1941. It sounds like they are old, but any 1941 in less than XF pretty much won't be worth more than 5 cents in my lifetime (or my kid's lifetime, and he is only 3 months along). I only save nickels before '59 with an 'S' mintmark or ones where they make less than 15 Million, or the silver ones of course.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep a maximum of 1 roll worth for any pre-1959 date. If I end up with two rolls of a common date like 1941, I go through them again, keep the nicest half and throw the other half back.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add War Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great advice about pre-59. Perhaps you could do this: Triage.
Get some coin tubes, and some rolls of nickels and just pick out all the ones pre-59, then turn in the others and buy more rolls until you have run out of nickels.

I am developing a system here base on what I have read so far...here it is...
First, I found a Credit Union with a coin counter cheaper than Coinstar (which chargeds around 10%)...the Cornerston FCU in Lockport, NY charges only 3% for the coint counting (which is for customers only)...when I get the receipt I can directly deposit into a checking or savings account (no fee, its a credit union! Credit unions are a beautiful thing, banks are trying to shut them down because the Credit Unions are non-profit and keep your money local!) So, why not have my coin habit feed antother great habit...saving money!

Anyway, that't a great dumping ground...so other fellas like me are probably doing something similar....now, where to BUY the rolls...how about someplace that is hostile to coin dumping? How about a big multi-national bank? Buy rolls at your HSBC's , your BOA's or what have you...anyplace that will not accept coins unless they are rolled! (which is a PITA and time consuming [I am sure somebody on this board has a machine that automatically rolls coins for you or some such thing...]

Regarding nickels, if I see a really nice strike, or all the steps I am keeping it...also, I look out for unusual toning brought about by tempering oven mistakes [possibly the wrong process name here, but search Black Beauties on this board, they are nickels that have a very rich , dark finish that came from the mint!)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4162 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the wonderful world of nickel roll searching.

I agree with everything my friends said above ... and each person approaches the nickel roll hunt from a different way.

Sooo ... I as well keep all 1959 and prior dated nickels ... and am on a quest to find the entire circulation strike series from local bank rolls ... have two coins to go!

In addition to the war silver nickels ... be aware that there are nine total circulation strike Jefferson with less than 10 million mintage ... I would keep all of them if I were you. You can easily research these dates in any guide book, or with a simple Google search.

IMHO ... roll searching USA nickels is great fun and a fabulous way to learn the hobby ... you will find a wide variety of coins .... and it is the only 50+ year old series whereby a current collector has a chance to complete the entire series from pocket change.

Enjoy the hunt.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WVUcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Add me to the list of pre-1959 hoarders.

I use the triage method.I pick up rolls of nickels at my local BOA. I also pick up wraps for free while I am there. I then go through each roll and take out any pre-1959 as well as any nickel from the 60's or 70's with full steps as well as any proof or well struck coin that catches my eye. I then rewrap them in the new rolls and bring them back to my dump bank. Every once and awhile I sit down with all the coins I've pulled out and go through them in more detail. I separate them by year and mint mark and put all they others in groups. I have been able to put together a complete set (except for the 50D, that one I had to buy). I also have 2 more sets that only need a couple of coins for that I have given to each of my sons.

As for the foreign coins those are all keepers. I love the Bermuda nickles with the fish. LOL
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hehe I think that everything "important" to start out with has been mentioned.

My personal keepers rubric is -- in order -- as follows:

1) 1961 or earlier. (Why 1961? That's where Vol 1 of the Harris album ends. :-) )
2) 1989 or earlier with full steps.
3) 2009
4) S mintmark.
5) Burnished finish (later-date "SMS"; I've found several of these).
6) Interesting errors or varieties. (Doubling, die cracks, cuds, greasers, off-center strikes, etc.)
7) Seriously unusual PMD. (I have a fun collection of examples that will make you think "What in the world?!" :-) )
8) Foreign.

Anything that doesn't fit at least one of those criteria goes in my cull pile and I also record my progress on completing the 1938-1961 date set on Numismetrica:

http://www.numismetrica.com/collection/5
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
A Database of Counterfeit Coins.
Counterfeit identification and attribution services.
Edited by SteveCaruso
02/04/2012 11:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  02:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also an admitted pre-sixty nickel hoarder. Can't seem to find the fiftyfive P by roll searching, though. Same with the not so ubiquitous 50D.
Valued Member
United States
444 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add still lookin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually keep them pre 1960 except 1959 D and 1958 D. The worst of the early common years I also will not keep. I probably have about 30 rolls each of 1939 P, 1940 P, and 1941 P. I will usually keep any coin older than 20 years if it is in BU.

Heck you could just keep them all!
Pillar of the Community
527 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also keep pre 1960 nickels and I have started to keep nickels from 1960 and 1961, but only the ones without a mintmark on them, and that's because the ones in Philadelphia had less than 100 million minted (55,416,000 for the 1960 nickels, and 73,640,100 for the 1961 nickels) Their Denver counterparts were minted in the hundreds of millions, so I'm not saving those for the time being.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05