Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

10c Obverse / Reverse Cuds

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Formerly nancyc

Australia
3686 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  02:42 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Here are some piccies that show some different views of the Feather Cuds that occur on the 10c reverse. They come in all sizes, positions and a lot of different years.

I'll start with a normal 10c, just to show you where to look for these cuds.

#1- The cud is just beginning to develop:

#2 - A little further to the left

#3 - A bit bigger

#4 - A bit longer

#5 - A separate small one further to the left

#6 - The 'Fat' cud

7 different coins from different years are shown here.

The years I have with these cuds on them are:
1981, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2008.

They probably occur on other years, I just don't have them.
1999 are by far the most common, and that's the only one I've seen with the 'Fat' cud.

This is a 1990 coin with 2 x cuds in the feathers plus 2 cuds on the 1.

A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Edited by Nevol
02/06/2012 2:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  03:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mmm interesting, my only ten cent cuds are around the number 10.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
853 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  05:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have three choice examples in 2010 10c pieces & one that looks like the early stage of forming.

I'll see if I can upload them:

I've put the pictures I guess in order of the cud forming.

I had two in a row from the same customer. I was surprised that so many came through within one week.

So everyone, the 2010 10c cud is alive & kicking
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3686 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ooooh, a nice one! I like it.

Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9471 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are very nice...I especially like #6. The complexity and organic nature of the design only makes the chips and cuds more interesting. It appears that certain parts of the die are weaker than others, and wouldn't it be fun to find a progression of dies, such as the "fad cud" growing over time? Great pictures too!
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3686 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These show some of the stages of the deterioration of the die for the 1999 coin up to the formation of the 'Fat Cud":

#1-tiny cud just starting

#2- already quite a size

#3 - Bottom half is just an outline

#4 - Bottom half outline more pronounced

#5 - Here is Fatso!

Nancy
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3686 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A similar set for 2008:

#1 - starts as a shiny bump

#2 - The bump is bigger, with a little worm underneath it

#3 - Cud has formed

#4 - Final size

Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Yass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pictures Nancy
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3686 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yass, all due to my great new little 'toy'.

Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Australia
853 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  05:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome pics. They're not just pictures...it's a story.
The journey of the coin...at the RAM.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  05:14 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know how I missed these when you posted them but they are very interesting. I know it is hard to estimate but roughly what is the quantity of coins you search to find each one?
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3686 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
roughly what is the quantity of coins you search to find each one?
This is just a guess: I think I'd average about 5 error coins for each $10 worth I used to search.

I've only noodled 1 x $100 bag of 5 cents in the last 13 months, apart form the coins I get in change from shopping.

Nancy
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05