Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Greek Letters

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...

United States
1166 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  6:48 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I ran a few experiments to see if CCF would accept Greek letters in any way.

All results were the same. It recognizes all letters from the character map except B, gamma, delta, and H.

B& H no problem.....delta, gamma...nope.

I don't know why it would recognize most but not all?

Regards

- "
ccf insert code command

Α - ' - " - " Ε Ζ - - Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ Ν Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω...... copy from ms one note

Α - ' - " - " Ε Ζ - - Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ Ν Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω.... copy from ms word.

Α - ' - " - " Ε Ζ - - Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ Ν Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω.... Drag individually direct from windows character map.

Α- '- "- "ΕΖ- - ΙΚΛ..... copy from Type Greek program.

- 'ΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ Α- "ΑΘΟΚΛΕΟΣ.... copy from another web site.

- '- "- "(B,D & Gamma)..... copy from excel.

- "(delta).... copy from PDF file

- "ΕΛTΑ copy from greek translator.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9685 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've ran across this difficulty too. It would be nice to encode not just Greek, but Cyrillic characters too. I think I have solved this by using html character encoding, within code brackets--does this work for you?
#915; , #916;, #946;

Update: this works in preview mode, but not when I post it.
Edited by DVCollector
02/07/2012 7:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1166 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, they all work when your composing your post , but not when you post it..?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2793 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  7:49 pm  Show Profile Check bobbyhelmet's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bobbyhelmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had similar / the same problems, it can be a real pain. I'm not sure what font the forum uses and I guess thats at the root of the problem.

I have also designed some characters to cover some of the more peculiar marks on later Roman coins, a few examples here:

They are listed as symbols in a font I butchered. I was surprised nothing was already available on-line.
Unfortunately these only work on my PC and saved Excel files loose details on other peoples machines.

Maybe we should design our own downloadable font with all of these strange marks in it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4279 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried putting a couple of Greek letters once in a post, then I clicked Preview to see if they would pop up but they didn't.

Edit: just added these: α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ σ ς τ υ φ χ ψ ω " " Θ Λ Ξ Π Σ Φ Ψ Ω
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Edited by VisigothKing
02/07/2012 7:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4279 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same for me, gamma and delta don't appear
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1166 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have also designed some characters to cover some of the more peculiar marks on later Roman coins

Those would be handy symbols to use bobbyhelmet, but I would not know the programming necessary to get them into code.

Quote:
just added these: α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ σ ς τ υ φ χ ψ ω - " - " Θ Λ Ξ Π Σ Φ Ψ Ω

CCF recognizes a lot. Maybe it's just small glich about Delta & Gamma....?
Pillar of the Community
United States
842 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ancientcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby, you have no idea how much I want the chi-rho and the double-crescent characters for my records! I have looked *everywhere* on the internet for either fonts that contain them or HTML code for them. I would be in support of any effort to make these symbols usable.
Check out my collection online at http://www.romanvmimperivm.com!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2793 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  8:48 pm  Show Profile Check bobbyhelmet's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bobbyhelmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its easily a year since I did them so forgotten exactly how the process works, about 20 in total I think.
I'll try to re-educate myself tomorrow and fire some copies to people to have a play about with. Maybe its something we could add to every time someone gets something 'new' on one of their coins.

Like you ACG I got sick of looking through fonts and on-line so bit the bullet and made my own.

If it all works I'll start taking 'requests'
Edited by bobbyhelmet
02/08/2012 1:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  10:50 pm  Show Profile Check wheatiefan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just tried DVCollector's codes with a few different fonts and it didn't work after posting. Looking at the html it seems that anything in a code bracket is converted to Courier font, so that may be part of it? . . Also all of the leading ampersands are removed, but I don't know if that might be standard practice. . .

#x0394;
#x0394;
Edited by wheatiefan
02/07/2012 11:05 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
☺5♣
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think those are utf8.
Pillar of the Community
United States
842 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ancientcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found one! I found one! For HTML, that is. Embed #9767; into code and you get the chi-rho monogram. Link with all the different codes for it...http://www.fileformat.info/info/uni...27/index.htm

I don't know if you can get one to work on CCF, though.

^ EDIT: apparently I can copy-paste this symbol here (but coding it on the forum won't work). If I can copy-paste it onto here you should be able to copy-paste it elsewhere, like onto MS Word. I wonder if there is a way to save it to your computer so you can use it in the program...? Like make it so it will appear with all of the other symbols you can insert into documents.
Check out my collection online at http://www.romanvmimperivm.com!
Edited by ancientcoinguy
02/07/2012 11:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9685 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see the Chi-Rho! Let me try a copy/paste:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2793 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  11:54 am  Show Profile Check bobbyhelmet's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bobbyhelmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found one! I found one!

Nice find

I've remembered how I did it, press Windows Key & 'R' (or open your 'run' bar) and enter:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\eudcedit.exe

Press return and the program will start - its a hidden program so not much exists on how to use it, Google 'Private Character Editor' for more info and basic 'How to...' guides.

I've looked into creating a new font but not sure this is the best solution - the problem with PCE is I dont know how to export the characters for sharing and backup. I'm not the only one asking this question and there must be a solution, just not found it yet.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...68b599b31bf5

If we can find the file and location it should just be a matter of over-witting it to add the characters to any PC.
Edited by bobbyhelmet
02/08/2012 11:56 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9685 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a daunting problem, but if this forum could enable the Symbol font, and its character set--that might be an easy fix.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05