Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This coin deserves a GRADE! 1909S VDB PCGS "genuine" slab.

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  9:33 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add scotty11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This is a slabbed pcgs "genuine" coin. The "98" in the numbers tell me that it's been improperly cleaned. I don't care about that. I want a grade.

When I slabbed this, pcgs didn't offer a "details" option. I've learned that they do offer that option now.

I'm seriously considering cracking this out of it's slab, and having it re-graded/slabbed.

Should I send this back in to PCGS...or should I submit it with 4 other coins that I've been planning to send to ANACS?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you go the ANACS route, EMAIL me. I have a coupon that gives 2 free with 5 at regular price. Time limit on it...I think the end of the month.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2533 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gothic Florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't really look cleaned to me. Am I missing something?
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  10:46 pm  Show Profile Check reupman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add reupman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
at a glance I dont see cleaned screaming at me either.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surely you didn't find that in a bag Scottie?
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd try VerdiCare, then ANACS. nice looking coin, even if cleaned long ago.
Learn More...
United States
14291 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  11:34 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Doesn't really look cleaned to me. Am I missing something?

Yes. PCGS is becoming more of a joke every day. I just had this discussion with several dealers at the Long Beach Coin Expo and the majority agreed.
Most GENUINE coins are gradeable. Your coin is not gradeable? Please. PCGS has pretty much lost my business because of this. I got tired of sending blazing RD original coins to them, only to tell me their opinion for $30 that my coin has Questionable Color or whatever.
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
Dave - ANA LM1214396, C4, EAC
Pillar of the Community
United States
3140 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  11:57 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
scotty, YES, send it to ANACS. PCGS is no better than ANACS, no matter what folks say. Choose not to drink the Kool Aid. Your coin does NOT appear to be "cleaned" though there are some scratches. But hairlines do not always mean "cleaned". Let us know how it goes.
"Our lives are summed up by two dates separated by a dash mark. Make the most of that dash." Battalion Chief John "Mac Daddy" McDonald. R.I.P.

It is could've, would've or should've, not could of, would of or should of.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it certainly was cleaned sometime ago...I have an '09 VDB that has similar surfaces, kind of a glossy 'smooth' look yet brown. Still a beautiful, key-date coin that deserves a grade.

I'd send it to ANACS. Your better off in their slab WITH a grade than in a PCGS one without.

Pillar of the Community
United States
674 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  03:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to me like it was cleaned at some time. With the wear on the head, I would expect it to be darker. But I think it deserves a grade also. PCGS is ridiculous with their crazy rules. Send to somewhere else and get a grade.
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mariospaghetti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heck, I would be proud to own that coin. I too agree with Anacs for this coin. It DOES deserve a grade!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6039 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  08:28 am  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some folks send their "key coins" in to get slabbed to determine their authenticity, then crack 'em out and slip them in their albums, and place the label on the inside back cover of the album. Was this your plan? If so, it has been graded "GENUINE". If you really want to keep it in the slab then send it to ANACS. If ANACS determines that it has been cleaned (in their opinion) it will receive a "DETAILS" grade, but at least a numerical grade will be given.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
02/08/2012 08:33 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11381 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  09:04 am  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes. PCGS is becoming more of a joke every day. I just had this discussion with several dealers at the Long Beach Coin Expo and the majority agreed.
Most GENUINE coins are gradeable. Your coin is not gradeable? Please. PCGS has pretty much lost my business because of this. I got tired of sending blazing RD original coins to them, only to tell me their opinion for $30 that my coin has Questionable Color or whatever.

Indeed, both NGC and PCGS have lost a lot of my business too. As I've been telling folks here for years, just because NGC or PCGS rejects your coin for some dumb reason doesn't make it fact that your coin is a problem coin. They are plain WRONG many times over. The bottomline is there are certain coins they simply don't want in their holders. If a coin doesn't have the exact look they expect to match previously slabbed coins, they will come up with some bogus reason to reject it.

Crack you coin out of that slab and resubmit.....keep submitting until you get a real slab. I really don't see any problems, but then again, sometimes seeing a coin in hand makes a big difference. Based on the pictures, the coin looks fine to me.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5197 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  5:59 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd crack it out first, I'll bet ANACS grades this one no problems. You already know it's genuine so long as you don't damage it removing it from the slab it's entombed in currently. Older coins like this generally don't get details for cleaning when worn down more than XF-AU.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotty11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the replies folks! I'll keep you all posted on the results.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5197 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  04:34 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget to let us know this one should be interesting! Good luck, who are you sending it through?
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05