Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This coin deserves a GRADE! 1909S VDB PCGS "genuine" slab.

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most GENUINE coins are gradeable. Your coin is not gradeable? Please. PCGS has pretty much lost my business because of this. I got tired of sending blazing RD original coins to them, only to tell me their opinion for $30 that my coin has Questionable Color or whatever.

It's very simple. A grade is a shorthand way of telling someone who can't see it what a coin looks like. Well guess what, the coin you have in your hand looks exactly like it looks.

Certify coins, point out defects, there is no reason to grade them.
Learn More...
United States
21460 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most probably know what I would do with it.

If not, then I will tell you...

I would crack it out, put it in my Dansco, and never look back.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
929 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scotty11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would crack it out, put it in my Dansco, and never look back.

I can't do it jbuck.

This coin deserves a grade.

(Trust me, once it has one, I'll crack it back out and tuck it back into the Whitman that I found it in. I would have never even had the thing graded in the first place if not for the folks here at CCF. There's a thread about it somewhere back in the history of this forum.)

Some very good people here gave me some very good advice back then. I "certified" it via PCGS...

PCGS tells me that it is "genuine"...

I feel that this "genuine" coin deserves a grade. A professional grade via a TPGS.

Once I get an actual grade on it, I'll be happy.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11285 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  08:02 am  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For once I disagree with jbuck. An important key date coin like this should stay in a slab for it's lifetime. Should you ever need money and have to sell it, a slab will make it a LOT easier to unload. Also, when you die, it will make it easier for your family to know exactly what they have.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yeah, I don't understand why someone would have a coin slabbed then break it out and put it in a holder. That makes no sense and it is a huge waste of money. What am I missing?

If it deserves a grade, then just grade it yourself or post some good pictures on here for an opinion and it won't cost anything.

You do know, that once you break it out of the slab, that grade means nothing now? At least to me it wouldn't, since how can you prove it was ever in that slab, especially after you have handled it?

To me the whole point of slabbing is to verify it is a legit coin and for easier resale.
Edited by wquinn
02/10/2012 09:58 am
Learn More...
United States
21460 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For once I disagree with jbuck. An important key date coin like this should stay in a slab for it's lifetime. Should you ever need money and have to sell it, a slab will make it a LOT easier to unload. Also, when you die, it will make it easier for your family to know exactly what they have.
See, generally agreeable people do disagree sometimes. It is okay, it happens.

Everyone should keep in mind that my coins are mine. I never plan to sell them. My heirs have been and will continue to be educated by me. I want and hope they will keep my collection as a legacy; and continue to build on it for future generations. If they decide to "cash it in" and disrespect the sentimental value, then they deserve to be "taken" for it. Yes, I can be that spiteful.

I did not start collecting to make me, my family, or my heirs monetarily rich. I started it for pure enjoyment and I continued it for sentimental satisfaction. This is what I hope to leave behind.

Quote:
Yeah, I don't understand why someone would have a coin slabbed then break it out and put it in a holder.
I would never pay to have a coin slabbed, so that is not a problem. However, I am willing to buy a previously slabbed coin; but I am only paying for the coin (not the slab) and I am breaking it out for my album.

Quote:
You do know, that once you break it out of the slab, that grade means nothing now?
Keep in mind what we have here is what I want, a genuine coin. I do not care what grade someone else gave it (that is, the grade already means nothing to me as it is one person's opinion). I do not grade that way, I go by my own eye appeal; but that is me. This is not to say I am right and you are wrong. We must always do what makes us happy. I only offer a contradictory opinion, for the sake of those who may feel the same as me.

Also, everyone should also know that I am not a high end collector. If I were, I might find myself on the other side of this discussion.

Quote:
Once I get an actual grade on it, I'll be happy.
Then get it graded is what you should do! I only said what I would do, not to mean "if I were you."

In this case, you do have a lot of great opinions in this thread and I hope you the best! Do let us know how it turns out. Personally, I see (based on the photos, of course) no problems with your coin.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do a little bit of both... I've cracked a number of slabs. Several of these were AU58 coins that I got pretty cheap - I imagine the submitter thought they would come back as MS. I didn't pay a premium for the slab (in some cases, they actually cost less than the submission cost.) They're still nice looking coins; they're good matches for some raw MS coins next to them in an album. In some cases, they look better than some MS coins! I've also cracked a few that were sold through venues that only sell slabbed coins (e.g. Teletrade).

The most expensive coin I've cracked was an XF45 1908-S cent, and I did get a slabbed one in this case to avoid counterfeits. Maybe it was overkill? I don't know how common 1908-S fakes are, or how hard they are to detect. It's not so pricey a coin that I think the extra liquidity from keeping it in a slab is going to be a big factor if I have some financial disaster.

I also have some high-grade Mercury dimes that I've kept in their slabs. These are not extremely valuable coins and they're not key dates. I am, however, a klutz and am worried about marring a MS66 or 67 coin. Most of these are toners too, and the patina can be even more fragile than the metal underneath. I've got 3-ring slab pages, so I've got no need to crack them out for display purposes.

When I get some more expensive keys, like a 1916-D dime, 1877 or 1909-S Indian cent, I probably will leave them in their slabs. While I don't plan on ever selling them, if I was hit with some major unforeseen expense, they would probably be the first to be sold. Those are coins where the slab really does add a lot to the liquidity.

Some other semi-keys, I'm on the fence about. When I get a 1921 or '21-D dime in VF-XF, will I crack it? They're still pretty commonly sold raw, but in higher grades it's probably easier to get the most money out of them if they're in a slab. *shrug*
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11285 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  1:20 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If they decide to "cash it in" and disrespect the sentimental value, then they deserve to be "taken" for it. Yes, I can be that spiteful.

We're a bit different for sure. See, I'm doing the same thing as you. I'm creating something I hope and pray will be of interest to my children someday. As it stands today, they show little to no interest in coin collecting and, at 16 and 25 years old, I admit I'm slightly concerned.

My collection is pretty valuable and, if they were to be in financial straights, I would not roll over in my grave if they were forced to sell my coins. I'd like them to be able to get the most $$$ possible should that time come. Much of my collection was given to me by my grandfather. He has told me many times to not be attached to the stuff and if I ever needed money to sell it. I guess I've inherited his attitude. LOL

I'm also at a point where I want to SERIOUSLY reduce the volume. I'd rather them have a few, more valuable coins to deal with rather than the tons of stuff I currently have. I also fear that over the years there's a big chance my collection will be either lost, stolen or taken by mother nature. My goal is to take it down to just what will fit into a single bank SDB. That way my instructions are quite simple...."keep paying the bill on the SDB and if you need money, cash the stuff in".
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand you want a grade but to me finding out about its authenticity would have been my main goal. Like I said I do understand that since you do now know its definitely authentic that you now want to know a professionals opinion on the grade though
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add f16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice coin get that in a slab I do not think it is cleaned
Pillar of the Community
United States
1592 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need some help here......CLEANED.....
How does a TPG tell the difference between a cloth used to wipe a coin clean, and the cloth that lines a pocket that has rubbed on the finish of a coin? One is bad and the other okay? This seems ridiculous to me, unless we are discounting a very high grade coin because it was conserved to remove some dust, or dipped to remove tarnish...."cleaned" seems an absurd term to me. Anything but the highest grades shouldn't be evaluated on "cleaned". Saying what the intent was when a coin received its wear is "snake oil" to me. Is a coin that ended up going through the wash in my jeans no longer gradeable? If so...I would surmise no coins are gradable that have seen circulation.
Edited by unholyroller
02/10/2012 4:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RealMetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about the 1909S VDB that fell out of a vest pocket when the gentleman was pulling out his pocket watch to check the time and it fell into a pile of horse manure by the trolley tracks in 1913? This coin would HAVE to be cleaned at some point, at least to rinse the manure off and it circulated for the next ninety years or something after that.

I know this is a silly example but would this be considered cleaned?
Learn More...
United States
21460 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My collection is pretty valuable and, if they were to be in financial straights, I would not roll over in my grave if they were forced to sell my coins.
I definitely understand that. Of course, if my heirs were to be in financial straits and managed to get what my collection was worth, I would be sorry to say that they would still be in financial straits!

Quote:
I'm also at a point where I want to SERIOUSLY reduce the volume.
I hear you. I have managed to avoid that situation. I think about building other sets after I finished what I have started, but the main thing keeping me from doing them is the fear of my collection becoming too big to maintain.

Okay, I apologize for veering off of the original topic.

Learn More...
United States
14156 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  5:55 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with BadThad on cracking out important key date coins.
Just can't do it. Long term superior protection, 1, & resale potential, 2.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jesting1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found this forum and the discussion, decided to sign up because of it.
I too recently received a group of coins back from PCGS ungraded, in my case marked "questionable toning". This is my first interaction with a coin grading service.
I believe this is because there was limited toning on one side ( these are all Morgan Silver Dollars) and none on the back.
The coins came from my Uncle, had been stored for years in a felt holder that held them tightly in place but allowed the front to receive air/moisture/whatever. I'm pretty sure that's the reason for the disparity.
So, instead of getting a grade, I instead get a coin with an unknown grade and a holder that screams "look at me, I'm modified" .
I'm also thinking of cracking it and just putting it in a book.
This is frustrating- and feels like I just wasted a lot of money "subscribing" to PCGS and getting five plastic holders.
I'm not really worried about these coins being authentic, as the dates are common. I just thought they were in really good condition ( strong images, little scuffing on the surface) and wanted to know what they graded at. Sigh.

I might add that this was submitted at the Long Beach Coin show, where NGC calmly told me not to bother them and that the woman manning that booth stated "I am not a numismatist, and why not go talk to a dealer".

There, you've got my vent. Now let me crankily go and read more posts...
People wonder why it's hard getting people into coin collecting...
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05