Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Red Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  07:21 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ram96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Expanding my roll searches and I have read on here about Red Pennies. To this point I have not saved them. Shame on me.

Is this an example of what I should be looking for.

I took these photo's without using a flash.

Please let me know if Iam on the right tract.

Thank you for help.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11353 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In a word...yes. Very nice find.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ram96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your help.

Next question is what is the best way to preserve this coin. A flip, plastic tube or other method.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11442 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  09:06 am  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, buy some tubes and start stashing them.

....and, please crop you photos next time. You're showing more background than coin. LOL
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1361 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I get a few of the same year in RED I put the best in 2x2 then an album, the extra's go into the plastic tube holders.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ram96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can newer issued coins, say since 2005 for example be considered "red" pennies?

I will work on my photo cropping. Thanks for the tip.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11145 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  11:42 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Red" can be used to describe any Lincoln(other than 1943s) with original Mint copper color.
ANA R-3151318
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ram96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You for your help
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13046 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Next question is what is the best way to preserve this coin. A flip, plastic tube or other method.

Many possible methods.
1. Purchase a plastic 2x2 type flip, insert coin and seal
2. Purchase a cardboard type 2x2 flip, insert coin and seal.
3. Place in a plastic roll and add cotton so doesn't move around until you get more of them
4. Place in an Album and forget worrying about it's future.
5. Sell it to me by sending it to me postage paid for by you.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverEye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should we clean them before tucking them away? I mean like an acetone bath or something so our fingerprint oil and sweat doesn't cause unwanted darkening.
Learn More...
United States
21928 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5269 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  5:56 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The big killer for copper is moisture, so storing them with some sort of dehumidifier or silca gel is recomended. No talking while looking at coins, your mouth is generally what deposits the tiny spots that grow into carbon on copper! Learned this trick at an ANA seminar on grading a long time ago, makes sense too.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
two words: painter's mask
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5269 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  7:05 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BiggFredd: two words: painter's mask

The Japanese have got it down then, LOL! I just try and refrain from talking while hovering over coins, it's good practice, beside sometimes I talk too much anyways!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
all well and good until you sneeze on your 67red 1916 proof. Then you feel like this reporter:

http://likeorfail.com/world-record-...guy_271.html
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05