Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Whats your most meaningful coin(s) and why?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Left
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  8:55 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Left to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This saturday I was helping my elderly piano teacher out by cutting their hedges and weeding. When I finished her husband(~85) pulled me inside and showed me his collection. Bags of silver acquired at face. But then he pulls out a lockbox(house was robbed lost full danscos of wl etc so locks valuables)...he also has 80 pounds of wheat cents unopened from 1950's which I wanna search... but anyway back to the story.. he opens the box and there are 3 Eisenhower dollar coins in it. I look at the coins and ask him whats so special about these, they aren't even silver. He tells me, "On my 13th birthday my dad gave me this, and this was literally all he had." Just thought Id share this! Mabye you also have a good coin story!

Roll Hunting Finds
2 buffalo full dates
3 war nickels
1 silver dime
1 NIFC
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NYBrian84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is my 1925 Buffalo nickel. The thing is, I don't even have it in my hand, yet.

My amazing girlfriend and I are tight on money this year, (due to health issues) and we decided to do valentine's day on pretty much no budget. Well, she had a bucket of change that was in her basement that she had forgot about, next to the dryer. It was from a previous boyfriend, who never emptied his pocket's for laundry. She would empty all of his change into the bucket. With my new interest in coins, and nickels specifically, she went through all of the change, and looked for anything special. Needless to say, she stumbled upon a 1925 buffalo. The fact that she makes sure to be interested in any, and all hobbies that I show interest in means the absolute world to me. I will be getting it tomorrow, which I can't wait for! I'm going to clean it up nice, and put it in a nice case to carry around for me. Sort of, my lucky nickel. I'm sure I will use it as a card weight when I play poker, among other things.

She's a keeper. ;-)
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8419 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most meaningful coin for a lot of collectors is their first.
There a couple of threads that relate to this, where people have stories to tell.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few:

1909 VDB Cent (VF+): It was the first coin I bought. Only 75 cents back when I was four years old (1991). Since then, I have upgraded to BU Red but I am going to keep this one for sentimental value.

1927 Dollar (AU+): My great grandparents got brand new dollar coins for their sons when they were born. This was my grandfather's which he had since 1927. He gave it to me when I began working on my Peace dollar collection about 12 years ago.

1876 Swiss 5fr. (AU): This one has no real story so I made one up. I inherited this coin along with a bunch of 19th and 20th century US and Canadian coins. To me, it was odd that it was in its own 2x2 unlike any of the others. My great great granparents were born in Switzerland and moved to the US in 1890. My story is that it was brought to this country by my family in 1890 and kept since then.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
952 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HONDO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry, I honestly am not trying to downplay your story/thread, but I'm confused.
He's 85 years old and he got 3 ikes for his 13th birthday?
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Left to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hondo.....he is old which is why I used the "~"
Roll Hunting Finds
2 buffalo full dates
3 war nickels
1 silver dime
1 NIFC
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bbradford71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it sounds like your off about 30 years on the age
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3173 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My most meaningful coins are the one's my father gave me including a 22s peace,
48d franklin, and a 1864 2 cent. Two coins which are meaningful that I bought are my 14d and 09s lincolns,
just because I never thought I would own either of them. That is before I decided to get "serious"
about coin collecting. My daughter recently gave me a an ASE which I gave her when she graduated from high school.
She knows all this stuff is going in hands some day anyway and I think of her every time I see that coin.
It is very quickly becoming my favorite coin.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  10:33 am  Show Profile Check mmorgan22's eBay Listings Check mmorgan22's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add mmorgan22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My most meaningful coin was not my first one like a lot of peoples. After I started collecting about a year later my grandfather gave me some coins including his penny collection from when he was a kid. He said he found all of them in his parents pocket change back in the day. Anyway, it was not full by any means, but there was a 1909-S in there. Fast forward about 10 years latter I had gotten a membership to PCGS and was going to to submit some coins for my free submissions. I had one left and I though I should submit the penny just for kicks. After I pulled in out of the old coin album from the 1909-S slot to my amazement it was a 1909-S VDB This is one coin I will not sell. I hope to pass it to one of my grand kids some day.

Oh yeah, it came back from PCGS at VF-20.
Check out items for sale on my ecrater store http://invenietis.ecrater.com/
Edited by mmorgan22
02/09/2012 10:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12311 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm sorry, I honestly am not trying to downplay your story/thread, but I'm confused.
He's 85 years old and he got 3 ikes for his 13th birthday?

Exactly why he saved them. Possibly the first ones ever made and not even the president yet.
Yes there have been seveal posts like this and it is easy to see why. How did you get started, who inspired you, your first coin, etc. are all really rather important stories about a favorite and popular hobby.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timsumrall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Besides my 1945 Australian penny that I have cherished since I can remember, my dad gave me 2 proof 1967 Mardi Gras tokens that are dear to my heart.
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  11:45 am  Show Profile Check BLUESZONE's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BLUESZONE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By my calculations the oldest he could be is 54. If he was born in 58' he would be 13 in 71'.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
20365 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When I finished her husband(~85)... opens the box and there are 3 Eisenhower dollar coins in it. I look at the coins and ask him whats so special about these, they aren't even silver. He tells me, "On my 13th birthday my dad gave me this, and this was literally all he had."
The age paradox aside, I like this guy!

My two most meaningful coins are the two Eisenhower dollars my father gave me in 1978.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12311 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Details of why, when or how to me are not that important when it involves a gift from someone no longer with us. Coins my Dad gave me are still with me and that always sort of makes him here too. When or why he gave them to me is not the really important thing.
just carl
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add replytodh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story!
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bbradford71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started thinking about when I was a kid and first got into collecting. My parents would always send my sister and I to our grandparents farm in Kansas for a month every summer. When I was around 10-12 years of age in the early 80's I remember telling my grandfather that I was bored and wanted something to do. This is when he introduced me to roll hunting. He pulled out his coin collection and showed it to me, it was impressive to say the least. I remember at the end of the summer he told me that one day the collection would be mine if I wanted it. I took what I learned that summer back to Texas with me and started searching rolls of nickels and penny rolls. Being such a young kid I could only afford to get $10 worth at a time but it was fun. I remember my dad bringing me home rolls of nickels from time to time to search just because he was at the bank and decided to get me a roll.

My grandfather passed about 5 years after that summer and I completely forgot about his collection. About 10 years ago my grandmother asked my father to sell the collection so that she would have some extra money and my dad brought the collection back with him from Kansas and asked me to help him inventory it before he tried to sell it. I remember being blown away at what he had, this time I was much older and could more appreciate the collection. The collection was all silver and my grandfather had well over 1,000 coins, most of which were half dollars and dimes with some quarters. My father sold the collection for $5K for it, silver was around $5 an ounce back then. I can only imagine what that collection would be worth today and I am sure there were some key dates that we got ripped off on but did not know any better. My dad told me last week that he really regretted selling the collection because he knew his father wanted me to have the collection but at the time he was worried my some of the other family members might take the collection and use it as cash at face value and my grandmother needed the money. I understand but I still have my memories and an introduction to this hobby.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05