Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ANACS turnaround time...and confusion reigns

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  4:14 pm Show Profile Check weerdsteev's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add weerdsteev to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've used ANACS about 5 times in the last 3 or 4 years and I always pay for the 5 day plan...which they have NEVER managed to hit. (If you're thinking I should know better by now, you're absolutely right!) My latest submissions were received by them on 1/31 and sent back to me either yesterday or today. No matter how you stretch or compress it, that's at least 6 days if you don't count the day of receipt or the day it gets returned.

Shouldn't they refund the difference between the plan you paid for and the next tier if they fail to perform within the advertised time? Would you "put up" with UPS or Fedex or the US Mail if you paid them for next day delivery and it took them 2 or 3 days to deliver? Why should ANACS be any different?

Now for the confusion part:

When I submitted the coins I specified that I wanted them returned via US mail (USPS). When I checked the coins through their system this morning it indicated that they had been returned to me via Fedex! So I wrote them an email and said:

Ugh! Why did you ship it back to me via Fedex? I specifically asked for USPS and you even have "USPS Only" recorded on the order! It'll take me a month to catch up to Fedex! Ughhhhh!!

ANACS replied:

Sorry for the confusion Steve,
Your coins did ship via USPS yesterday, you'll get a tracking number from us this morning.
Please let us know if you need anything else.
Paul A. DeFelice
ANACS
Vice President, Client Services and Marketing

I wrote:

Paul,
Whew! Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know!
Best regards,
Steve

About 3 hours later ANACS wrote:

Dear STEVEN
We have completed your order(Order Number 385480) and shipped it back to you via FedEx on 2/10/2012 11:03:14 AM. Your Tracking Number is: rb373009193us.

So....I wrote them AGAIN and said:

Arghhh!
In an earlier email, Mr DeFelice ASSURED me that these coins shipped YESTERDAY via US mail, which was what I specifically requested when I submitted the coins.

So, which is it, yesterday by the right method or today by the wrong method?

Vice president DeFelice wrote me again and said:

Again Steve,
I apologize. Your submission did ship yesterday via USPS. The tracking number is correct. The carrier should read "USPS".
Please let me know if you need anything else.
Paul A. DeFelice
ANACS
Vice President, Client Services and Marketing

Good grief! Does one hand NOT know what the other is doing over there?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2569 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I loved ANACS at one time, and they were grader of choice, but not anymore. I have taken coins out of mint sets and sent them in only to have them come back as "cleaned". That seems to be the norm now, "cleaned" on everything I get back from them. Turnaround time has never been a problem because I go the least expensive avenue possible.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel your pain, I hate Fed-Up.

Seems a premium speed service should be guaranteed. I know USPS will refund completely if they're late on express mail.

I liked getting the premium shipping from Amazon, only to get all shipping back when they're a couple hours late.
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  03:12 am  Show Profile Check wheatiefan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about ANACS, but my last few shipments from Amazon have been a fedex/usps partnership. Fedex sends it 98% of the way to the local post office, which then delivers it. (I hate it, FWIW.) Maybe something similar is happening.

I think ANACS or any other service should deliver what they advertise, or offer something to make up for it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  03:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ain't No Accountability Coin Service. Now I'm thinking twice about sending them some of my coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9259 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The difference is USPS guarantees their delivery time, ANACS (Nor any other service) guarantees their turnaround time.

Quote:
. I have taken coins out of mint sets and sent them in only to have them come back as "cleaned". That seems to be the norm now, "cleaned" on everything I get back from them.

See what I said about bodybags in the "How long does it take to grade a coin" thread.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  2:23 pm  Show Profile Check weerdsteev's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add weerdsteev to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the thing: I GET IT that they probably cannot always accurately predict how much "volume" they'll get on a particular day or a particular week, month, etc. I'm sure they only have so many graders and there are probably times when they're overwhelmed with coins and can't process them all within the times that folks have specified on their submission forms. I also GET IT that certain submissions they receive are more lucrative to them than others - like "1 day turnaround" items which net them $100 per coin as opposed to my "5 day turn around" that only nets $25 per coin. Better to upset ME than those folks that are shelling out $100. I totally get that. But what they ought to do is have some sort of provision that says something like THIS on their submission form:

"ANACS will make every attempt to complete your order within the time frame you have specified, but due to the random nature of the volume of coins we receive, we cannot guarantee it. If, however, we are unable to process your order within the time frame you specified, we will credit you the difference between your requested tier of service and the actual tier of service rendered, on your next order."

Seem reasonable? Seem fair? Seem doable?
Edited by weerdsteev
02/11/2012 2:24 pm
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know PCGS has different triers and it will tell you how many days that tier is supposed to take, but beside it they put how many days it is actually taken at that particular time because even though you pay for a 3 day turnaround if they have allot of submissions it may be 5 or 6 days for them to get to it
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5331 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  7:30 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True Bryan1315 is correct, in light of a certain new series being released or a large submission (bag of silver dollars) of 1000's of mint proof coins submitted by TV Coin shops, etc can really have an effect on turn around times, the ASE 25th set was a good example, all the TPS's ran a few days behind and it takes them a week or so to get back into the groove again, also a big coin show like FUN, Long Beach, or ANA shows can also produce a lot more submissions, so keep that in mind when submitting for quicker turnarounds, ANACS has always over performed for me, getting my coins back in 1-2 weeks when they said 4-6 weeks.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
722 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OneBowl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
weerdsteev,
That's completely reasonable for a company with customer service as a true organizational priority. From a marketing perspective, they would probably be better served by offering an "AU" Service Tier with a stated 99% GOAL of a 5 day turnaround rather than relying on the fine print to deal with misses, but until they feel some financial pain that's directly associated with your issue, things are unlikely to change.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1367 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1893S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We the public have been feeding this beast for quite some time, and now they have the power. We look unto them as the supreme judge of our coins. They are in it for the money and I really don't think they could care less about a thousand or so customers as another thousand are in the wings. I can proudly say I've never sent in ANY of my coins for grading including my 1893S, 1895S, the list could go on and on, and, I have all the rare Morgans in decent grades.... Knowledge in your own specific coin niche is paramount.... If and when I need to sell the next buyer can have them graded. My 2 cents!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9259 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seem reasonable? Seem fair? Seem doable?

Yes, yes, and yes. Will it happen? Probably no.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  09:10 am  Show Profile Check weerdsteev's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add weerdsteev to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to complete the circle on this, my coins showed up yesterday, in the MAIL (as I had requested). The postmark date on the envelope was February 9th, so I guess everything VP DeFelice was telling me was true. Too bad the operational folks kept giving me wrong information and getting me worked up. Interestingly, they also included a certificate for one FREE submission under the "5 day turnaround tier". They offered no explanation for why they included this...but if you believe the postmark on the envelope, they had to have included it BEFORE I started grumbling. Weird but...nice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3649 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  10:33 am  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did your coins come back at or near the grades you were expecting? I have submitted four of mine recently and I wonder what to expect.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  12:15 pm  Show Profile Check weerdsteev's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add weerdsteev to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep. They did.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05