Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Time to get real about pictures

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
474 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  10:04 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add FlipOfACoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

OK, I am tired of taking hundreds of pictures with the 'wide angle / flower' setting on my digital camera only to find that I am not improving. Insanity right? This means I need to change something...

What about a USB microscope thing-a-ma-jig that will send pictures straight to my computer? Anything along those lines would seem ideal... However, I realize I could be chasing the wrong 'squirrel' entirely. Suggestions

Pillar of the Community
United States
2123 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Change your lighting. Lighting is THE KEY in photography...period.

I am in the same boat as you. $1000 or $5000 in equipment will not make ME any better...ahem...at photography. :)

Read the other posts in the photography page and check the lighting arrangements. I am getting ready to face my ikea lights up towards the camera, but direct them at bent pieces of paper to diffuse the light. I bet it works.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6031 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  11:11 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am in the same boat, about lighting, and my next step is to "dial-in" the proper combination of distance and difusion of the light.

The USB Microscopes are good for extreme close-ups, IMO. I have a Dino-Lite USB (got a good deal on it) and it is wonderful for close-ups, and not good at all for full image taking (at least I have not figured it out).
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Valued Member
474 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FlipOfACoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking more of something I can use to take up-close images. I seem to be running into a lot of questionable OMMs & RPMs... the old 'peepers' are not quite as sharp as they used to be...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  12:43 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...I am getting ready to face my ikea lights up towards the camera, but direct them at bent pieces of paper to diffuse the light. I bet it works.

It definitely does. I have tried it with both a white paper reflector and aluminum coated one with good results.

Quote:
I was thinking more of something I can use to take up-close images. I seem to be running into a lot of questionable OMMs & RPMs... the old 'peepers' are not quite as sharp as they used to be.

There are several recent threads on USB microscope cameras. Some members have achieved very good results with them.
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Edited by rmpsrpms
02/12/2012 12:44 am
Valued Member
474 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FlipOfACoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, thanks. I must have missed them. I will go back and look again!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5194 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  01:10 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep check previous posts, I use a cheap Celestron USB Microscope, works really well for close up photos of varities, RPM, DD, etc., the quality of the photo isn't great, but sure helps my old eyes to see what I'm looking at on a big monitor now days. After 40 my eyes seem to change prescriptions every 8 months.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11213 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  05:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The USB Microscopes are good for extreme close-ups, IMO. I have a Dino-Lite USB (got a good deal on it) and it is wonderful for close-ups, and not good at all for full image taking (at least I have not figured it out)
My nephew has a Dino-Lite and can take whole coin pics,see the 10th post down JP324 http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=51390 I have the Celestron and can take whole coin pics of large dollar sized coins as well.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
United States
1485 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Member barryg has a good DIY lighting set up, take a look at his ATB coins under the PM forum. Having a good photo editor application like Photoshop helps too, I believe. Good pictures are key for selling on places like e-Bay, or to simply have a record of your collection.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05