Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

rim lines on five cent pieces

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
larena
Valued Member
Australia
323 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  9:37 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add larena to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have been noticing a line like a die crack on a lot of five cents....is it an error ? or what

oops...just realised my pic was inside -out ...thats a trap when you use a microscope

Edited by larena
02/12/2012 11:38 pm
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3659 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely a scrape from a rolling machine.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
971 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont think this is rolling machine damage.
From what I have seen that generally starts below the letters and if it is bad scrapes the letters too.
The photo above does not seem to have any damage to the letters so I dont think it is from a rolling machine.
Valued Member
Australia
323 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add larena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here it is on a 2008 five cents. On this one, it is on the entire circumference and a lot heavier than the previous pic. Very common on a 2008

Edited by larena
02/12/2012 11:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  01:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i came across so many like that I stopped keeping them,
Valued Member
Australia
102 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add airgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure i'd say very common but does occur on other dates of 5c and also 20c and 10c of this year, and in varying degrees of intensity, and on both sides of the coin.Reminds me of the 2000 dollar mule when showing around full circumference.
Like most slight varieties on decimal coins it is ignored as worthless, but to a true variety collector it deserves a place in an album.If someone ever gets round to producing a decimal varieties catalogue with explanations as to what causes these varieties it would be sold out immediately.
Keep up the interest.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05