Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can anyone help with some information please

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

59 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  4:40 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add claire72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi everyone, I would love some more information on top coin in the photo please. It measures just under 3cm diameter. I can make out some of the letters AVGTR P or(D)XXVIII

The other Roman Coin (bottom in the photo)apparently is fake?

Thankyou for your time, Claire x

Valued Member
Netherlands
379 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  4:50 pm  Show Profile Check Eddop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Eddop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the first coin take a look at this site:
http://66.201.77.219/legendsearchex...mit=+Search+

I agree the second is a fake.

Regards
Ed
Formerly jwharper
Learn More...
4253 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second coin looks fake; however, the first coin looks authentic. If it is 30mm and weighs somewhere around 26g then it is a RIC 1097 Marcus Aurelius. AE Sestertius. M ANTONINVS AVG TRP XXVIII, laureate and cuirassed bust right / IMP VI COS III, SC in exergue, Jupiter steated left, holding Victory & sceptre.

http://wildwinds.com/coins/ric/marc...RIC_1097.jpg
Learn More...
United States
13741 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  5:43 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community.

I agree with the others.

The second coin does appear to be a fake, but done pretty nicely. It has some age to it. It might be Renaissance copy and still have some value.
Valued Member
59 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add claire72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should I put my purchase of a new car on hold then guys? lol x Thankyou for all the information. Where can I get a valuation please?
Learn More...
United States
13741 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  7:01 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might be able to buy the key to one.
Valued Member
59 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add claire72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, a key is a start eh lolx
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9663 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
59 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add claire72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the Welcomes guys. I have a huge case of coins...so hope you'll not get fed up with me constantly asking for help lol x
Pillar of the Community
United States
565 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt people will get fed up. Attributing coins is alot of fun! And welcome to the forum!
--------------------
Joseph
--------------------
>>>My Gallery<<<
Learn More...
United States
13741 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  8:39 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We love to see coins. Are they all ancients?
Valued Member
59 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add claire72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou guys.....Here's a new/odd lol one I just found......Photo isn't brill sorry, but I think is Silver.

Front: Shows a chubby fella facing right(I think wearing a hat (bit like a religious style hat), sash around his shoulders and has a huge nose).

Back: Looks like 2-3 figures, the tall ones is definitely looking down at a smaller one.There is a definite line across the bottom of the coin, which the figures are stood on.

Letters I can make out on front are CLEMEN_ XII_ _ P or a F 0XXII

The coin measures roughly 39mm diameter......

Thankyou guys x Not sure if I should of started a new post or not. Lots more to follow, should I bother trying to clean them? All ancient coins

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you will have a lot of interesting coins to post.

IMO you should post no more than two coins per post, otherwise if there is a long conversation about several of them it gets rather complex to remember who's talking about what coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9663 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your last item may be a coin or medal depicting Clement XII, Pope from 12 July 1730 to 6 February 1740.
He certainly looks dressed for a Pope during this time.
Learn More...
United States
13741 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  12:11 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DVCollector is correct, it is a Papal medal of Pope Clement XII.
Valued Member
59 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add claire72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys, must have the patience of Saints, cos no matter how hard I look for the coins (even with all your help with links and names etc) the coins must be hiding in the secret information coin club section on the net lol!

Claire x

ps. Although I have managed to find (several times) a ancient medal with a dog (greyhound, I think) on it, which I'm quite taken with, as view so many times now! Maybe coins are just not for me lol xx

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05