Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A What To Keep List

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11044 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  10:55 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am the guy that all the family members go to to count and wrap their saved change . I was wondering if anyone could post a list of what to look out for when I am going through the coins, i.e. NIFC, low mintages, also any special Canadian coins to look out for? Thanks a bunch,
John1

( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guesswhomsa1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If someone could come up with a list, it would be the best thing ever! It would be such a great help for newbies... Great idea, if someone has the time please do it, would be really thankful
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that this would be a great thing. Also, John1, how do you have almost 5k posts, and not know this yet? That's amazing!

This list should be a sticky in the Coin Roll Hunting forum. Okay, I know that there is no CRH forum, but I'd love one!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11044 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, John1, how do you have almost 5k posts, and not know this yet? That's amazing!
Because I mostly search cent rolls. I know to keep anything old but I don't know about the NIFC nickels dimes quarters and halves. At what grade should I keep 5-10-25-50 coins and at what date e.g. nickels before 1950 should grade at what before they are kept. Dimes should grade at what between 1965 at now before they are kept? Quarters should grade at what between 1965 and now before they are kept? Halves should grade at what before they are kept? If all of this sounds like a dumb question I am sorry Thanks,
John1
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well now that you put it like that, it makes more sense. I don't know any of that either.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what I do when roll searching.

Keep silver coins (including halves from 1965-1970) and wheat cents.
Keep BU coins.
Keep any S mint coins.
Keep nickels before 1960.
Keep proof coins.
I wouldn't save any clad or Memorial cents at all, unless you were saving it to complete a series. The only exceptions would be high grade XF + coins for 1982 and 1983 (since no mint sets were made, but there are souvenir sets).

Check for WAM cents for 1998-2000.
Check NAM cents for 1992 P&D.
Check 1988 cents for RDV-006. http://www.varietyvista.com/Lincoln...0Changes.htm

Check 2004 WI quarters for the extra leaf.

Check halves for missing FG initials on reverse. Actually checking all coins for missing initials. Some bring a premium.

If you don't want to check for RPMs or DDs, then that leaves off a lot of checking, so you don't have to worry about looking closely at the coins. Here are a few popular DDs:
1972, 1983, 1984, and 1995 cents.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Edited by wquinn
02/14/2012 2:47 pm
Learn More...
United States
21460 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If all of this sounds like a dumb question I am sorry
There is no such thing as a dumb question.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12832 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes there is such a list. And there are several of them in different places. One such list is called the Red Book by Whitman Publishing. Another such list is called Numismedia coin listings. And then too there is the PCGS coin price lists and several more. Just keep all the coins on those lists and you'll have what you want.
For Canadian coins, possibly a member from that place called Canada could lead you to a list of all their coins too.
You did say you wanted a list of coins to look out for so these are the ones you need.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3339 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  4:36 pm  Show Profile Check rachums107's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rachums107 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dont keep ALL nickels before 1960.
some people do but I think its a waste. Keep these
1938-PSD
1939-DS
1940-SD
1941-SD
1942-SD
war nickels
1946-S-D
1947-SD
1948-SD
1949-SD
1950-P-D
1951-S
1952-S
53s
55p
58p

Hope it helps!

For dimes-look for 1982 No P and 2009-P-D
"Once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and music being correct, you can do whatever you want. So, nobody told me what to do, and there was no preconception of what to do."
-Giovanni Giorgio (Giorgio Moroder)

Silver War nickels found: 97
Oldest CRH find-1897 V-Nickel
Ignorance is bliss...but knowledge is power.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1959 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Carl mentioned, the RedBook is a great reference, I use it all the time.
Oldest dug 2014: 1851 LC
2014 silvs from circ: 38 (I quit 6/14)
Oldest finds circulated:
1894 Barber half
1900 Victoria dime
Oldest dug: 1758 Reale
Minelab Explorer 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11044 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rachums107, Thanks. That is the kind of list I was hoping for. What would be the lowest grade for me to keep? Thanks again,
John1
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are several threads, one on "JFK halves", others on other denominations. They pop up frequently (the half one is almost 700 pages) and this question gets answered.
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 15turtles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ahhhh canadian coins eh? keep anything 1967 and before since they are silver, keep all half dollars (we canadians call em 50 cent pieces), all IKE sized dollars regardless of year, cents arent worth much even pre 1965, but pre 1965 has the young queens head which looks somewhat good :D, 1967 is a particular year its the 100 year of canadian cennitial, and those coins are as follows : penny has a dove, nickel has a rabbit, (from here on the coins are .500 silver) 10c/ mackeral, 25c/ wildcat or bobcat, 50c/ howling wolf, and 1 dollar has a goose on it. 1968 is first year of 1.00 nickel coins nothing special unless AU or above, 1967 is cennetial as well as .500 silver, 1966 and before are .800 silver, and 1858-1920 or 1919 are .925 silver (or sterling). helpful? DONT ROLL HUNT IN CANADA, its annoying, you get nothing pretty much only some first year nickels which are pretty much FV unless AU+ which is lols however I have seen "hunting" sucess stories in canada
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12832 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with such a list that you are looking for is it would really have to be extensive. However, if your just looking for very rare types or just Silver, then it becomes easier. There are way to many coins of almost every date that are worth watching for and especially error coins. Many slight offsets are selling for $10 at coin shows and yet most people just pass by them when roll searching. Many miss doubled dies or offsets on the reverse since again so many don't even turn a coin over to look at the reverse. Almost everyone knows there are presidents faces on the Obverse of coins but start asking non coin collectors what is on the reverse and you'll find very few have no idea at all. And too some of the differences are so minor in coins that you would really have to study them for those differences. Example is the 1970 small and large S Cent.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05