Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

some education please 1907 IH has this been cleaned?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
marymanard
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  5:05 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add marymanard to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

just trying to learn how to tell if a coin has been cleaned or not. this is a mighty pretty coin do you think its been cleaned? how do you tell?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1271 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell from the photos, but it appears natural. If it were shiny, had an odd tone, or if it has fine rub marks it may have been polished. But that looks like a nice coin from what I can see.

Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennymandave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin!
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Funny Money to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the sandman. Also, if the luster doesn't match the circulation, that would be a tell.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1381 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can usually tell if there is a big difference in color between the letters and the color of the fields... Looks original to me...
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
10337 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  9:34 pm  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a cleaned coin. Sorry.
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 10. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2247 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with coop. You have a very nice coin but it seems to have some wear and it is pretty bright looking for a coin that has any wear at all. I think (and I'm no expert) that your coin got an acetone soak.

I have real mixed feelings about that because cleaning is WRONG, on the other hand, maybe it saved the coin from further corrosion.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add marymanard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it just came from an eBay roll probably rolled in the 1950's so if it was cleaned it was done before then. but it does have significant difference between letters and fields and has a beautiful but different tone. almost some purpling between the letters. so I guess its been cleaned before.

How does a coin in this probably precleaned condition affect the value especially when it is this old?
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
10337 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  08:39 am  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a mineral oil bath to help remove part of the grime around devices. But it doesn't turn the coin pink. It leaves the coin a natural color:

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/HALF_BATH.jpg
How die he clean just 1/2 of the coin?
Here is a bathed Indian head:

This can only be used on circulated cents with grime on the coin's devices. It will not remove carbon spots/stains/verdigris on coins.

Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 10. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05