Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Peace and Morgan Dollar VAM

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Morgan Quality Control?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
ContraJame
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  8:40 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ContraJame to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Did they have any sort of quality control on the Morgan's like they did for the Peace dollars? It seems like there are so many VAM's for Morgan's.

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
16618 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  9:25 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It seems like there are so many VAM's for Morgan's.

There are thousands, but that's because there were thousands of dies produced. Not counting 1921, there were over 3500 die pairs produced for Morgan dollars. Many of them were interchanged during their lifetimes, creating thousands of additional die pairs.

Prior to 1878, the Mint had reached the mintage of one million Dollar-sized coins only twice in a single mintage year. Morgans were mandated to be produced at the rate of two million per month. Everything was running at peak capacity, the dies had to be pushed to the limit of their lifespan and quality control had to suffer slightly just to get enough coins out the door.

That would be a win for us.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ContraJame to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm assuming the QC process for mass production was developed with the Morgan series. Was there improvement from start to finish (1878 VS 1904 or 1921)? Are most of the errors due to die wear while QC caught most mechanical errors like off center? I know I'm looking from the mile high view when I could likely dive below the bottom of the ocean and not know it all. My curiosity is piqued.
United States
16618 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  10:53 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True mechanical errors are pretty rare with Morgans, as you assume. The majority of VAM identifications are for pretty arcane features. The mints were quite willing to keep striking cracked dies - obviously, since die cracks abound with Morgans - and I suspect that was a deliberate decision on their part given the production pressure.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4832 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  12:44 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And beyond the quality control which dave touched on, most Morgans did not circulate, they just sat around in bag in bank vaults, other than being moved they stayed (for the most part) in nice condition.

EDIT- I don't mean to imply they didn't circulate at all, it's just the majority of them didn't, those that did seem to have really circulated a lot, but millions upon millions were realeased in uncirculated bags 70-150 years after they were minted. Most of them went out at Chirstmas time to local banks where so many people got them to give out as gifts, then they stored them away again.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Edited by westcoin
02/22/2012 12:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2624 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  09:20 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just can't let this one go without comment. ContraJame used the terms "quality control," "errors," and "VAMs" in such a way that it could be interpreted a VAM is an error.

A VAM is cataloging number for the specific die pairing used to mint the Morgan or Peace dollar. A VAM is not "a broken fourth right star". The broken fourth right star is a "pick-up point or PUP" or characteristic or the obverse die used to make that particular dollar.

I cringe on eBay when I see a listing touting all the spectacular VAMs on a particular Morgan/Peace dollar. There are usually many PUPs, but only ONE VAM.
So many coins, so little time ...
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ContraJame to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My mind was in the right place but my terminology was not. Thanks for the clarification. :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2533 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with what SD stated, I feel "IF" the quality control, were like say the same as today for the ASE'S, We would NOT have things to keep us as busy, searching/seeking all the smaller differences we have come to enjoy.....I also feel things are what they are today because of the route chosen to get the demand met, and any other way, would leave us plenty less Morgan/Peace Dollars to look at for those wonderful ECD'S, THE K-TOP12, THE TOP 100 LIST, THE TOP 50 LIST, THE 40-HITLIST AND MANY, MANY MORE......PS, Also Thank You LCVA, AND AGM, Who together helped find/feed a passion I did not even know I had........ :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05