Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1912 S $10 Indian gold coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  8:39 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Somersgirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi! Would appreciate your opinions on the grade and value of this coin.
Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3557 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  9:03 pm  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would grade your gold piece at VF 35. I have the same date and mint mark and it is one that is a little less common. Gold value is around $835 you should be able to raise up to $900 for it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5730 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  10:50 pm  Show Profile Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse is worn down to F12 with the obverse being a solid VF. I think VF20 would be generous here but the grade has little impact on the value if it's genuine.

It should weigh about 16.5 grams in the condition it's in and be 26.8mm in diameter. It is worth close to $900.
ANA #R3154474
Edited by BH1964
02/20/2012 11:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a net 20-25 to me and worth around $850 or so.
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  04:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please weigh this coin because this coin doesn't look genuine to me, the letters look cartoonish and it just doesn't look right to me. I have not seen very many highly circulated examples of this type and that may be what is throwing me off but I would feel better if you weighed the coin especially if you just purchased this coin so maybe you can return it if there is a problem with authenticity

Edit: I looked at my example in my Dansco album and I can maybe see how the letters may look like that once they are worn down by circulation but I would still feel better about this coin if you would weigh it and let us know what it weighs
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  05:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fine. With so many nicer grades available, I'd think 2-3 times.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2825 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  09:59 am  Show Profile Check Prethen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't look right to me either. Pass.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Rest in Peace
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The surfaces do look incredibly "soft" for a circulated gold coin...I don't know how to explain it, but it does seem something is a amiss. It may not be fake, but at least it appears the surfaces have been altered somehow. Weighing it is a good idea, it's not worth much more than melt in that grade so as long as it's real gold you should be fine if it's something that you already own. If your contemplating a purchase, I would pass.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Somersgirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all your opinions. The coin measures just over an inch in diameter and weighed .7 ounces (I just used postal scale we have to weigh).
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the dimensions seems to be close but if I am correct .7 ounces is something like 19.88 grams which is awful heavy
Learn More...
United States
17160 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  12:44 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On a postal scale I wouldn't be so worried about the weight - 1/10 ounce resolution is not nearly accurate enough to weigh a coin anyways.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05