Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1803 Draped bust Coin

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  10:59 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add anesti to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Just being curious if this is a real coin. It was left as a tip at a diner about 7 years ago. I had forgotten I had it until a year or so ago. What scares me is that its in very good condition with some very light scratches and some fading on the edges. Also is it a dollar of half dollar coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3559 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  11:09 pm  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, it is an imitation.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6970 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry. It's a fake.

And why did you post it sideways?

Straightened out:

Links to ALL previous "Days of..." Threads:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...08352#108352
Edited by Moe145
02/20/2012 11:17 pm
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add anesti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well thank you guys. I wasn't expecting this to be real anyway but then again I don't now much about coins. So is it a newer fake or older fake. Sorry about the sideways pick I used a phone camera and didn't think of rotating them.
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Funny Money to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just wondering what makes this an obvious fake and not an 1803 large 3 dollar? Not that I'd disagree with the experts...just trying to increase my knowledge...
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  05:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just wondering what makes this an obvious fake and not an 1803 large 3 dollar?

There are a few things that stick right out with the fakes but the missing details of the coin when the other details like the hair are clear is the first thing sticks out and tells me its fake. If you see enough of these you will know what to look for. This one is not a very good fake and I would say it is a fairly recent one as being not over 30 years old
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  06:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, anesti!

Modern fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2832 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clue #1: the denticles (the "teeth" around the edge) always go right up to the edge on a genuine bust dollar, never stopping at a solid rim like this.
"Knowledge is the treasure of a wise man." --William Penn
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12917 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm wondering if it is made of something that is supposed to be sort of a valuable token or medal. Being left as a tip may have been thought to be giving something of value. For sure it's not a real US coin but may be made of something worth something. Have you weighed it? What size is that? Is interesting though that someone would make that and no denomination noted such a 1 or one or something.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
9043 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carl this is a copy of a bust dollar. If you look at a bust dollar you won't see a denomination on the obv or rev of it either. The denomination was only on the edge of the coin.

Quote:
Just wondering what makes this an obvious fake and not an 1803 large 3 dollar?

Bust is too small, stars are too small, date is too small, the lettering font is wrong, and the border details are wrong. among other things.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jdgarst0720 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting tip. I would be interested to see if it has any value at all, too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1635 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
its the edges on the coins that tells me its a fake (definately a copy) it pretends to be wear but we all know old coins do not wear like that a copied die cast fills out that way and the whole eagle is the same way
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add anesti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight I cant measure but its heavier than the Dollar coins that are out now. The weight might be closer to the Kennedy half dollar from the 70's. The coin also feels filmy like a very light residue.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is interesting though that someone would make that and no denomination noted such a 1 or one or something.

denominations were on the rims back then.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It should be bigger than an Ike.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1379 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can buy this exact fake in the swap meets around here for $2, they will sell you all you want.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05