Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957 proof florin

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1244 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  05:34 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Australian coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

What do you think this is worth?

Valued Member
Australia
151 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  05:40 am  Show Profile Check bellyflorin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bellyflorin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin that pr65 , I can't say anymore tho
Pillar of the Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  06:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this seems like some sort of sting so can I ask to see the other side please before I make comment but going off what I see I'd say aound 30..BUT if it's a gem and this is the sting well I'll up my bid staight away to $100 plus, very nice AC
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1588 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  06:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's worth what the buyer pays for it,macca's 2010 $650 but it would have gone up quite a bit since then & I believe proofs sell close to catalogue value.
If your suss on this aeller I can assure you they are 100% honest.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1244 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Australian coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1244 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Australian coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, I would like to know what more experience people think about this coin, I don't exactly own any pre decimal proof coins but I do spend a lot of time researching this stuff and still learning about the proof part.

appleangel07 has put 2 and 2 together about the seller, but 100% positive feedback just means people are dumb enough give positive feedback

Everything about this coin seems too neat, and I compared to a proof of a different years pic and the wattle stems and leaves look different to this, not to mention overseas sellers are known for producing knockoffs.
Valued Member
119 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thesandpit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, I've found the listing.
The seller of that coin is one of the most honourable people I have dealt with.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew it was a sting..sel sap nancyc trout a little help please as I'm not good enough for AC felling guilty AC..don't mate I'm playing
Valued Member
Australia
151 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  07:05 am  Show Profile Check bellyflorin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bellyflorin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I will show my hand , I am bidding on that coin , I am the highest bidder atm , I trust this seller , he is a very honest chap and a passionate collector , he is a member of another aussie coin forum , the proof is genuine , it was originally brought off a well known dealer in sydney .That coin will look better in the hand sometimes photos just don't give proofs justices. As what I think it is worth I will keep that under my hat
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1588 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is authentic & the seller is honest ! if you don't want to take my word on this matter thats fine.

Formerly nancyc
Australia
3722 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have any experience at all with pre-decimal proofs.

This one looks fine to me, the only thing I would be concerned about is that both sides appear to have a very faint pink residue in patches. For a proof to have some sort of residue would indicate that it might have had a not altogether successful cleaning attempt.

The price at present may also be an indication that it's not in it's 'original' proof condition. If I was considering purchasing this coin, I would ask the seller about the pink tinges and also request more pictures.

I compared it to this one from a well known and respected Aussie dealer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...p=true&rt=nc
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This one looks fine to me, the only thing I would be concerned about is that both sides appear to have a very faint pink residue in patches. For a proof to have some sort of residue would indicate that it might have had a not altogether successful cleaning attempt.

A valid point to consider when appraising a coin, although I suspect in this particular case that the pink "residue" is more likely to be a reflection.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks ok to me. I have only seen a couple proof florins in the flesh though. Predecimal proofs put any circulated ones to shame. if only I had the cash
Valued Member
Australia
151 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  01:10 am  Show Profile Check bellyflorin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bellyflorin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's looks like a reflection to me (pink),by the way Mintage of 1957 proof florins were only 1,256 , the pcgs population report for this coin is PR67 1 only, PR66 x 22 , PR65 X 34, PR64 X16 , PR63 X 3 , and many of the raw coins still out there wouldn't grade at pcgs as they do have damage from the original mint packaging and have sadly been cleaned or miss treated by passed collectors I will be happy to add this coin to my collection and yes I love predecimal proofs and seen plenty.
Edited by bellyflorin
02/22/2012 01:11 am
Malaysia
4 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  02:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add low to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your interest in this listing.

Allowed me to introduce myself, my name is Low and I am a genuine collector from Malaysia.

To the best of my knowledge, this 1957 proof florin is a genuine coin in a genuine PCGS slab. Bought this from a Sydney seller several months ago.

The price at present may also be an indication that it's not in it's 'original' proof condition.

Interesting comment. I am not aware of any official restrike of Australian pre-decimal proof coins, hence the question of "original" proof coin is invalid question.

Proof coin refers to the method in striking the coin, not the term to describe the condition of the coin.

I suppose your question is: is this a proof coin or is this not a proof coin?

To me, this is a lovely proof and fortunately PCGS agrees.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
872 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  03:06 am  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
low,
Not often we get feedback from a seller we are reviewing. Much appreciated you took the effort to do so.
I would be happy to buy that coin but it may be a little (lot?) above my budget.

Stick around this forum -most informative.

Cheers,
Jeff
PS. If it is in a PCGS slab best to show the label/barcode in the pictures.
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
Edited by Jeff
02/22/2012 03:08 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05