Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting split 2006 Ornithorhynchus.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1587 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  12:48 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This is an iteresting split on the Platypus's eye.
I don't think it is PMD as it has little bits connect one side to the other all the way up the split.

Your thoughts ?

Valued Member
Australia
151 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  01:20 am  Show Profile Check bellyflorin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bellyflorin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really I have no idea, maybe a bit of wire/string ended up on the die,yep looks interesting
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  01:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What the heck is a ornithorhynchus?
Valued Member
Australia
323 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add larena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I learnt it ... O R N I T H O R I N C H you S (pronounced aw na tha rinc us)

we used to have a race at primary school to see who could spell it the fastest
Edited by larena
02/22/2012 02:03 am
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3717 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  02:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What the heck is a ornithorhynchus
A platypus by any other name would still be strange.

Yeah, I can't say apple, hard to make a call on this one.
Can you get a nice clear close-up of the full length of the split?
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1587 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  02:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL I could spell this before I started school,my father used to teach me & my 3 older brothers & 1 youger sister all sorts of big words.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ornithorhynchus

I'll just go & take a few more pics Nancy,be back soon.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1587 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  02:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope this is good enough but I doubt it,have to wait until the sun is shining to get pics like those ones ^^^^ I put up earlier.

You can see how all the little bits join across though.
Valued Member
Australia
323 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add larena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those initial pics are good appleangel07...what did you use?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1587 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  04:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took those pics in the shade but really bright daylight with my camera ( FujiFilm S3200 X 24 optical zoom ) with the chrome setting on & macro as well.
Really it is a point & shot camera but the settings take a bit of working out.
Edited by appleangel07
02/22/2012 04:17 am
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3717 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to say, I'm still none the wiser.

I really can't say what it is or how it might have happened.

I am sort of inclined towards PMD, but in no way certain of it.

Better keep it though, just in case it turns out to be a rarity.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Australia
855 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As for the platypus (I'm not going to try to spell it's scientific name), that's one nasty looking scar. Pub brawl with broken glass? darn those hero platypusses.

I'd have to agree with bellyflorin with:

Quote:
wire/string on the die

It's not as common as it once was. I remember seeing many for Penny's & Halfpennies.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1587 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  05:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rained all day here so did'nt get as good a picture as I would have liked but this one is better than the last.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05