Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Finger print appears after submission

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3565 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  9:17 pm Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

After I had my coins returned from ANACS I now have a finger print on the observe of one of the coins submitted! What should (or could) I do now?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11213 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contact ANACS, but unless you have evidence that the coin was printless when you sent it to them...well good luck.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5194 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  9:31 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Call them talk to them about it. They should make it right, by offering you a set amount of money or buy the coin from you at market grade/price.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3565 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  9:43 pm  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I have is photographs of the coin taken months prior to submission. I doubt they are prepared to offer to purchase the coin as the value is at least $1,500
Pillar of the Community
United States
6031 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  9:46 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...you never know. The evidence may be in the images you provide them in contrast to the "now" product, especially if they just graded it recently.

Strike while the iron is hot!

It would be pretty cool (in a CSI kind of way) if the fingerprint matched one of the ANACS employees.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
02/22/2012 9:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
501 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Billie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol Doink!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  03:24 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You haven't got anything to lose. I would be pretty annoyed if I were you! even more so because its a $1500 coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
3508 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  10:59 am  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard similar stories of fingerprints appearing after slabbing..the biggest problem is how to prove who did it...sometimes it takes a while for them to appear.That why I always rinse my red cents in acetone before putting in flips or 2x2's.
Lincolncentresource.net
Valued Member
474 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FlipOfACoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be pretty upset as well! Granted, this is not a $1500 coin, but sometimes it can turn out nice:

Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Larryh86GT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was watching a documentary about US coins and the mint a couple weeks ago and it showed how 3 men at NGC were deciding on a grade for a gold coin and I noticed all 3 were handling it bare handed which I thought was odd considering they could put a fingerprint on the coin before it got slabbed.
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was watching a documentary about US coins and the mint a couple weeks ago and it showed how 3 men at NGC were deciding on a grade for a gold coin and I noticed all 3 were handling it bare handed which I thought was odd considering they could put a fingerprint on the coin before it got slabbed.

I remember that show, if I remember correctly it was a 1907 St Gaudens and they agreed on a MS-65
Pillar of the Community
United States
9053 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

None of the graders at the TPG's use gloves. You'll also notice they don't wear masks either to prevent spittle from landing on the coin while talking.
Edited by Conder101
02/28/2012 10:17 am
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Larryh86GT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that was it Bryan. Did you notice the bare hands also?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05