Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

weighing rolls of halves...a study

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1803 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  5:09 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Well...I know it has been brought up a few times about weighing rolls of halves to see if you can determine silver content or not. After $25,000 worth of rolls weighed here are my conclusions....

Normal range of rolls ( not missing a coin, an extra coin, or wrong coin ) was between 225.4 and 226.8 grams for non-silver rolls
Anything less than 225.4 grams usually has a magicians coin it
The lowest weight roll with a 40% in it weighed 225.8 grams
The lowest weight roll with a 90% in it weighed 226.7 grams
The "sweet spot" for 40% was between 226.4 and 226.8 grams
The "sweet spot" for 90% was above 226.8 grams
Less than 2% of finds were outside the "sweet spot" ranges
75% of rolls within the 40% "sweet spot" range contained no silver
0% of rolls in the 90% "sweet spot" range contained no silver ( with the exception of one two headed coin)

These measurements were made with a scale accurate to .1 gram
All rolls were white/yellow string and son.
Rolls were weighed with rolls on coins still

Edited by unholyroller
02/23/2012 8:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SLHs through '64 Kennedys weighed 12.5g when minted. 65-70's 11.5, 71's and up 11.34.
We're talking a gram.
I dunno, you've weighed $25K more rolls than I have, but figuring in the variables of weight loss of a worn early Walker or 1878s Seated, added dirt, differences in wrappers - I'd still be opening the rolls no matter what they weighed!
Secret Santa!
Upgrading my 7070 never ends!
Edited by ArrowsAndRays
02/23/2012 6:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
746 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wrestling_135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you were to order $15 grand from the bank, weigh all rolls, and bring back the rolls that weren't open, instead of dumping.

I don't have a scale or the patience or I would try Unholly Roller's concept. Great info, thanks for the time and energy and for sharing! :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1642 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice info unholly never had the patience for that all I ever did once was weigh a whole box and they always weighed 25 lbs even if it had 40 silver coins in it or nothing
Pillar of the Community
United States
9264 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice info but from reading over it it becomes clear that weight will not spot a roll with a 40% coin in it. It will spot one with a 90% in it. The only conclusion I can see is that you will have a much better result finding silver in rolls that weigh over 226.7 grams, but you will miss a lot of the 40% silver that way. Since you have to open all the rolls that weigh more than 225.7 grams to find the 40%ers and since the lowest weight seen for non-silver rolls is only .2 grams less than that AND it takes time to weigh the roll, you might as well just open all the rolls and look at them. (you could save time weighing by simply comparing weight to a 225.7 standard and open only the rolls that weigh more, but you will still be opening probably over 90% of the rolls.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is interesting to know and I can't believe that you have looked through that many rolls. That is a huge amount!

How many years is that covering?

I would open all rolls, because if you don't, you could easily miss a nice and obvious error clad coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1803 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well.....I have done over $40,000 in rolls so far ( I have also searched over $1000 in cents and am now just over $600 in nickels ) and I am in my 9th month of roll hunting. I do indeed open them all, and in fact had to in order to do the study with the $25,000. I just wanted to see if any data of value could be lifted from weighing rolls and correlating content. After all that effort I felt it was worth sharing. One statistic I did not post was that roughly 65% of the rolls weighed 225.8 grams or higher. Put it this way...with about 99% certainty I can say if a roll weighs 225.6 or less....NO SILVER FOR YOU !(saying it like the soup Nazi).

Just to be clear....I am not trying to support or deny roll weighing is worthwhile. I just wanted to present my findings so that if anyone else was considering taking on a similar endeavour they could see it was already tried or compare their results with mine.

In addendum....as an aside....within that $25,000 there were
4 magicians coins
1 two headed Kennedy
1 foreign coin (Mauritius )
1 clad Washington quarter
2 Lincoln cents
No noticed error coins
Edited by unholyroller
02/24/2012 2:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3212 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So all you gotta do is take out all the rolls that weigh 225.6 or less and sell them on ebay for $15. hahaha.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3225 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  9:38 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We were doing that as well and rapidly discovered the variables are far too wide to make any assumptions. Wear of the coins makes a big difference. Also the wrapper makes a differnce. I have had many a roll with half the paper used to make the roll. As we are talking differences in grams, things like that make weight unreliable IMO.
"Our lives are summed up by two dates separated by a dash mark. Make the most of that dash." Battalion Chief John "Mac Daddy" McDonald. R.I.P.

It is could've, would've or should've, not could of, would of or should of.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1803 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I wasn't clear in my statement. My reporting on my findings is not to say that weighing coins is worthwhile, nor am I saying it isn't. I am just reporting on my finds based on my research...that is all. I just thought I would present it so others could see my results.
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ibab to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your numbers. I weighed two boxes - and would say that I agree. The rolls that were really light contained no silver. The rolls that were heaviest - but not as high as you found - never found any that heavy - had no silver, but there was the few that included some in that weight range.

That being said, going through them is easy enough and the banks take them unrolled or rolled...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05