Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1 Dollar, 1997 - Sir Charles Kingsford Smith (Value?)

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Kingz
Valued Member
Netherlands
459 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:36 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Kingz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

When cataloging the coin, I noticed it only shows $20 in unc condition. Would it be worth something above $1 when circulated? Just asking, as I have no idea on Australian coins

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
518 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AaronG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe $2-3 dollars on eBay in an average condition, check recent eBay listings for a better idea.
Valued Member
Australia
318 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinManTim to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a tangent Kingz - these coins are ridiculously difficult to find in circulation EXCEPT if you play the pokies.

I prolly lose 20 bucks a month in pokies, so I'm not a gambler, and say if I put in 2 bucks into a machine, if I got to 4 bucks I'd pull it out and find another machine - Anyways, you'd be surprised how many of these you get.

(A couple of years ago I had 10 bucks in dollar coins, and just cycled them through a pokie til I had 10 of this coin!) -

Valued Member
Australia
314 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Enlil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About a dollar, unless uncirculated.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
612 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MobOfRoos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mintage for this coin is 24,381,000 so is commonly found in circulation. As Enlil said, you would be lucky to get any more than face value for a circulated coin.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  06:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find, shame about the detail. I have 4 like this that I've saved from circulation but they're not worth much and like yours is missing a bit of detail if you look at this one.

I keep all coins I find from overseas so I'd keep it but don't expect to retire off it

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05