Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman coin price question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4279 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  12:10 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Just wondering, what are the cheapest prices that denarii of Augustus can go for? Thanks.

"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Edited by VisigothKing
02/24/2012 12:10 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8873 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  03:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver denarii of the Severans in very poor condition can be had for as little as 10 dollars, but I would not by one unless I wished to challenge myself to properly identify it. I such circumstances, a properly identified denarius it that condition may bring 15 dollars.

I have never seen denarii of Augustus marketed in such a lowly condition, but no doubt they are around. I guess that they may cost you a couple of dollars more than Severan examples in the same poor condition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2673 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  10:46 am  Show Profile Check TJsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TJsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eric II e-Books says that the Gaius and Lucius (August's intended successors) series are the most available and affordable. Approximately $100.00 each.

Here are two that I found on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MF337-Augus...em20c2d11f2f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Augustus-AR...em231851361a

It does seem like there are an awful lot of copies of Augustus coins. Not saying there is or isn't anything wrong with the coins above. One says that it was used as a jewel. The other will return your money if "David Sear" says it is a fake:) I would be cautious before buying.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Damaged coins like the one with a broken button shank attached will always be cheaper even if genuine but it may be a fake and have been used as jewelry as well. I paid $30 for my Augustus that was pierced by a nail and hit with a hammer but it is a better type. The cheapest one would be a fourree with peeling silver of the Caius and Lucius type. The price would depend on just how ugly the coin you find really is.

Just very worn, an Augustus is unlikely to be under $100.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05